1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold Weather and Soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NYboy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I love soup when the weather gets cold. Last night I went out to diner, there was a pear chestnut soup on the menu. It was out of this world! What is your favrite soup?

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Pear chestnut sounds dee-lish!
    and like something I'd order instead of try to make...

My all-time fave soup is split pea.
    But I also like homemade chicken or beef vegetable soup.
    If you have a pressure cooker soup takes minutes not hours.
    My PC is a microwave version and only holds about a quart.

Soup is one of the only Good Things about cold weather!

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I prefer stew to soup, but my FAVORITE soup would have to be split pea....if I get to choose~~I'll always choose Brunswick Stew.

My chickens, on the other hand, are passionate about chicken noodle soup mixed with rice krispies [​IMG]

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Zuppa Toscana!!!! It's soooo yummy and very hardy. Dang! Now I'm going to have to go buy the stuff so I can make it again!!!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota Wild Rice Soup! (the recipe from Byerlys supermarkets)

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Buffy, got a link or recipe, pleeeeeeeease? [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007

Ranchy! Here's the link. My folks were from Minnesota and my mom always made this special fabulous soup for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now Mom is gone, and I'm the one making the soup for my hubby and I.

(Mom did not appreciate my teenage humor when I referred to it as "Maggot Soup", because that's what it looked like...)

http://www.lundsandbyerlys.com/Recipes/Recipes/W/Wild-Rice-Soup.aspx

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC

Ranchy! Here's the link. My folks were from Minnesota and my mom always made this special fabulous soup for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now Mom is gone, and I'm the one making the soup for my hubby and I.

(Mom did not appreciate my teenage humor when I referred to it as "Maggot Soup", because that's what it looked like...)

http://www.lundsandbyerlys.com/Recipes/Recipes/W/Wild-Rice-Soup.aspx

Thanks Buff, but I SHOULD have known better than to ask.... [​IMG]

Recipe looks great, I will try it since I have ham thawed and wild rice in the freezer! Wish I had sherry, but I drank it all from my Waterford crystal thimble. [​IMG]

I made potato and kielbasa soup last night, and that or Southwestern Corn Soup have to be my favorites thus far. Oh, but then again... I really like Tomato or Split Pea.... or Tuscan White Bean.....

NYboy, that Pear-Chestnut Soup sounds heavenly, haven't seen many fresh chestnuts down here that weren't a dollar each.

9. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by