1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cold weather approaching fast!HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrymomma008, Nov 18, 2015.

1. countrymomma008

countrymomma008 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Hey so I live in kansas and so far we have had amazing weather but within the next few days are temps are gonna plumit.what can I do to get my coop and chickens ready for this very dramatic change and so fast!I have an open run where its just fenced in nothing over it.but their coop is inclosed with a very small inclosed run off of it.any suggestions will help!oh my flock is very small,I only have four hens.I kno the picture shows 6 but ive lost a few since then.
    Thank you ahead of time
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's nothing you need to do other than get a bale of straw or two to cover the snow when it comes.

They are already wearing a down winter coat.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  3. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    We was thinking about running tarps overthe run to try and keep the snow and some of the wind out.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you can keep the tarps in place with that KS wind.
    If you don't have a strong support structure, a wet snow will drag it down.

5. AngieL

AngieL Just Hatched

May 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I've got the same coop. I stapled plastic around mine to help with drafts. The top part isn't covered to help keep moisture from building but we bought a cheap canopy to keep rain and snow off. The canopy is tied off to the fence posts to keep the wind from collapsing it. I also put a little "awning" over the window in the back to keep out rain (I cut a hole in the plastic to keep the window open). Since it has been covered and the draft blocked, my 4 have been more inclined to go in when it's windy and rainy instead of huddling under the nest box. Don't know if this helps you any.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    O awesome!that is a really great idea!

7. AngieL

AngieL Just Hatched

May 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    We have a 3-season porch that we wrap in plastic every winter, so I figured if it worked that, it would work for the girls too. Also the little door on the side was covered separately so that door can still be used. I also built a foundation type frame with 4 x 4 to raise the coop up off the the ground so more shavings could be added to the enclosed part. I have sand in the front that they like to use for bathing when I'm not able to let them out of their pen or when it's really rainy. (They free range most of the day. They are only kept in their pen when I'm not home)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd remove the top 4-5" of that plastic around the run for ventilation.
    How are you going to keep the snow load off that canopy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by