Cold weather breeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CK Chickadilly, Sep 12, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I live in Michigan about 1 & 1/2 miles from Lake Michigan. Our last winter was very cold, windy & just down right HORRIBLE!!!! They are predicting the same type winter if not even worse this winter! UGH!!!

I am planning on getting some laying chicks/hens in the spring. I have a few breeds picked out but wondering how hardy they really are? I want them of course for their eggs & hear that in the winter with dimished light they don't lay. Now my friend who is about an hour away has Australorps & she said that they laid all winter with no lights on them. Any advise as to what would be a good hardy winter chicken that can still lay eggs with out lighting.

Lighting is not possible with my set up. I have other animals that would love to chew the cords & wire. That would not be a pretty sight!

I wanted to get Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, barred Plymouth rock, Rhode Island Reds.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I have RIR in massachusetts and just got golden comets, plus heard red star are winter hardy too

3. thepickleguy

thepickleguy New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    Lakewood, WA
    Try going on www.mypetchicken.com . They have a chicken choosing section that allows you to define the kinds of chickens you'd like such as winter hardy, egg color, temperment etc. You'll get pics as well as a little more about each breed. Hope that helps

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if this will help but was reading up on Cuckoo Marans and it stated not good in cold climates.
    I also have a partridge cochin hen who had a heat stroke this summer. So many feathers and fluff. She's doing better now, a little motor skill deficit and still living in on my dining room table this past 2 weeks! I keep her in if temp goes above 85 degrees.

5. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    your best bet is to look for dual purpose birds like i did. i looked for the ones with te most feathers...cochins, austrolorp, orpington. i also got some ameraucanas that are awesome here and i have a salmon faverolle that is doing very well

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I believe Brahmas are cold hardy birds.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Buff Orpington's - winter hardy and good layers all winter too. [​IMG]

8. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I find these guys do really well in up here in Canada.

[​IMG]

Actually Chantecler's were specifically bred for the cold Canadian climate. Good winter layers & not prone to frostbite. Also considered a heritage breed.

http://www.cfagrf.com/Chantecler_chicken.htm

9. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI!

I vote for Chanteclers too [​IMG]
    If you think you have miserable winters, try New Brunswick Canada!![​IMG]
    These girls will lay year round. They are friendly and easy to handle.

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hey...thanks for all the advise! You guys are awesome![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by