1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold weather chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2emma2, Jul 17, 2011.

1. 2emma2

2emma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are there certain breeds of chickens that do better in the winter? Are they egg layers?

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

BO, BR, Brahmas

4. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    Up here (-40 winters) we see a lot of silkies-, polish, houdans, mille fleurs, cochins, feathered feet guys are all popular- not a lot of heat lights at winter from the few breeders I've talked too

course my frst winter so don't take my word for it LOL

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Icelandics..

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Yes, Brahmas are very cold hardy.

7. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I assume these coops are insulated?

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Don't know much about McGraws (they do look cold-hardy), but the other two for sure.
    Here's my Buckeyes in about two feet of snow.
    [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Not knowing how cold hardy you need, you could co with,
    Rhode Island Reds,
    American Gamefowl,
    Chanteclers,
    Brahmas,
    Buckeyes,

Chris

10. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I chose brahmas because, in the past, our winters have been pretty cold - and last winter was no exception - 2+ months of temps that never got above freezing for highs. I know, this is "mild" compared to the winters some of the BYC members experience, but I still wanted to get some breeds that could withstand freezing temps - and the brahmas came through with flying colors. Having said that, our summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter and I just did a remodel on our run which was previously partially shaded with tarps across a flat top because the brahmas do not like the heat at all. We just added metal (EMT) rafters and put a heavy duty silver tarp over a larger portion of the run because it has been so darn hot this summer - and we are heading into another week of temps in the mid-90s with high humidity. I also had to add a fan to the run and am constantly adding ice packs to the waterers to keep things cool. Hopefully the extended and deeper shade will help minimize their stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by