Cold weather coop ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dandkadams, Mar 8, 2014.

1. dandkadams

dandkadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    laurentian hills
    I will be getting some laying hens in a couple of months and need to finalize my coop plans..... ok I need to come up with a coop plan [​IMG]

I would like to do a shed style coop with a run attached.
    We are new to our current home and have found this winter much colder then we're used too.
    Like -35 - -40C for 2 months with 5' of snow cold...
    The kicker is the summers can be +40C!

I won't be using heat in the coop as power outages also seem to be common.

I have found several ideas I like but would be very interested to hear what other people are doing in similar situations.

P.S. Thanks for all the advice so far!
    I have been stalking this site for quite some time... just dreaming of a day we got a house that allowed chickens as apposed to another military duplex.

2. rooster buyer

rooster buyer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I was going to say get a reptile heating pad and put around there roosting poles put you could just put like an old blanket around them keep lots of hay in there and keep it well insulated when they go up for the night close the door thats all i got sorry i will let you no more if i can find more.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, heat is not needed and can be a detriment just not because of power outages.

I'd suggest you do some reading of other cold weather coops.
    Here's a good way to search this forum:
    Advanced Search>Titles Only> cold weather coops

Woods style coops are design specifically for cold weather. They have specific proportional dimensions and opening locations to offer protection and ventilation.

Good Luck.

4. dandkadams

dandkadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    laurentian hills
    Thanks! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by