Cold Weather Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mylilchix, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We're in the CO foothills outside of Denver, so it can get cold here in the winter. I saw a very nice, sturdy playhouse on Craigslist that I'm thinking of buying (still waiting to hear back for the seller [​IMG]). I'd like to turn it into a bantam coop. It's not insulated, so I'm wondering if I should.

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I would.
    We use foam board insulation so it's ok if it gets damp it won't mold. Then cover it with plywood or the hens will eat them selfs out of a house.

3. mylilchix

4. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    That looks great! I would definitely insulate it -- it's pretty roomy for 5 bantams and their little bodies are not going to heat the place up very much. Anyway, the insulation will also help keep it cooler in summer, so it's a benefit all around.

I'm in Upstate NY where it gets plenty cold. We insulated our coop and put large windows in the south wall. We don't have electricity out there, so no supplemental heat, but our chickens have done just fine this winter. On a sunny day it stays real nice and toasty in there! (We have a good sized roof overhang on that side which keeps the sun out in the summer so they don't cook.)

5. mylilchix

Thanks for looking! Is the picture of your coop, your avatar? If so it looks great! We're starting with 5 bantams, but I want room so we can get more. I have 9 standard chicks that will need their own coop soon, too. I figure in the meantime I can put everyone out there until I finish coop #2.

Thanks,
    Sonja

6. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Yep - my avatar is our coop. I found these cool casement windows at a salvage yard and I designed the rest of the building around them. In hot weather we can basically open up the entire south side by opening those windows. We also have vents above each window on the south wall and corresponding ones on the north wall for ventilation when it's too cold to have the windows open (all the vents can also be closed from the inside for when it gets REALLY cold). The north vents are well protected from direct winter wind by the slope of the roof.

It took a long time to get this thing built, but it seems to be working out real well. The girls are all happy and healthy so far (except for the three that a neighbor's dog got, but that's another story). [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Looks good and like it would make a very nice coop. Good luck and I hope you can get it. Please post some pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. mylilchix

Woohoo we got the playhouse, soon to be coop!! [​IMG] We took a look at it today. It needs some minor repairs, but it's VERY sturdy. I couldn't build anything that nice for that price. The interior is paneled. A small section needs replacing, so I think I'll pull everything out and insulate. I have to put in a window and replace the door, too. We have plenty of wood around here to take care of the door. We'll go get it next weekend which will give me some time to get the area ready for the coop. I can't wait for my bantams to have a new home!!!

Sonja

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by