Cold weather egg blues!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chawkins, Dec 24, 2012.

1. chawkins

chawkins Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    We have had a mild start to our winter, but the weather went cold. When it did my 10 chickens went from 5 eggs a day to around 1-3 (3 is a big day).
    I really am not sure on the chickens ages and I don't have the coop near the home, so I am not sure on every chicken that are laying.
    Is it the cold that's slowing them down? I did install lights in the coop but not helping yet.

2. chiefslogan

chiefslogan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    Yes cold can affect egg laying. it may also be that your hens are getting ready to molt. Can happen in the early winter months

3. chawkins

Aug 23, 2012
    So how long do i keep them around before I start getting new ones?

4. chiefslogan

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    If the chicken is around three years old it gradually stops laying as many eggs. The older they are the less eggs they produce. If your hens are two edging closer to three, I would definitely get chicks. But wait until spring. Your adolescent chicks wouldn't like the cold winter with no plumage or feathers.

5. chawkins

Aug 23, 2012
    Ok thank you. I will wait it out. I am not sure on their ages which isn't good. I will find a way to mark them to keep track of ages. I wonder if a small colored zip tie around their foot would bother if it is loose?

6. chiefslogan

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    I doubt it. They won't care. They'll pry pick at it at first tho

7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have chickens that are going on three or four and I get eggs form them every day still. I would not get in a hurry to get rid of them. I do get new chicks every spring to help replace and keep the eggs coming but then I sell eggs and never have enough eggs. I can al ways sell more eggs then I have. Just enjoy your chickens and becareful of Chicken Math.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by