Cold-weather exercise ideas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liz_s, Nov 26, 2010.

1. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Hi!

My girls are currently confined (by their own choosing!) to their coop- about a 4'x5' space, including nesting boxes. We just got a ton of snow dumped on us, with more on the way, and have had temps right around zero. It's "warming" up, so they may be a little more likely to venture out of the coop, but they definitely don't like walking on the snow. I read in another thread about laying down straw on the snow for them, and I'm considering doing that so that they'll move around a bit, hopefully. How do you guys exercise your chickens in the winter? Without moving around much they aren't eating much, and I want to make sure they are taking care of themselves. Thanks for any input!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are conserving their resources for the long winter ahead. They don't need exercise. The best thing you can do for them would be to offer up some chicken entertainment toys and perhaps a removable dust bath for them. The one thing birds seem to miss the most in the winter is a nice, dry patch of unfrozen dirt for dust bathing.

Good luck.

3. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    I was definitely wondering about where they would bathe. A removable dust bath is a great idea-thanks! By exercise, I guess I more meant just moving out of their coop. I was worried about them getting cabin fever! But today is not as freezing, and they are out and about, but in a laid-back way! [​IMG] Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by