Cold Weather! I knew I'd hate this

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by schnebbles, Oct 22, 2013.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I feel bad my kiddos are out in the cold :( I knew this would happen because of how I am.

edited: re-worded b/c I had called them babies, they are 6 months old. Not chicks. I'm just weird and don't like them being cold.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Chickens do quite well in cold weather I wouldn't worry about them. What breeds do you have and how old are they? What part of the country are you in?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How cold is it where your are? Are they under 7 weeks of age? Do they have a heat source?
    Don't freak out.
    I just put 2, two day old chicks under a broody hen today and it's going to be below freezing tonight.

4. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    brrr! It's me, I'm weird and feel sorry b/c it's cold.

I have 3 d'uccles and 2 silkies out right now. My bantam cochin is sick inside now. They have a nice coop with sand in it (not insulated). I don't have a heat light on, it's supposed to be freezing tonight, I'm in mid ohio.

I can tell they don't dig the cold! Or wet, they hate their feet getting wet.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    But are they chicks or are they grown? You said babies so I assumed chicks.
    If they are adults, you are worrying for no reason.

6. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Oh gosh, darn me!! They are not babies. But they are my babies ;) They are 6 months and it's my first experience with chickens (and not having a good one, already lost 2 to mareks and a sick one inside), I just feel bad. I know they should be fine.

I didn't even think about people reading it like little chicks. I should re-word that. Glad you pointed that out.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know but it sounds like you may be over protective.
    Healthy chickens are not fragile. Raise them like chickens would raise themselves in the wild. Good nutrition, clean water and fresh air.
    One of the most common faults is to coddle them. Many people think they'll be cold and close up the coop. (cooping them up) In other words - killing them with kindness.
    They need big ventilation - year round.
    Chickens are adaptable to a wide range of weather conditions and many breeds were developed in COLD climates before electric.
    Another mistake is to give too many treats, thereby tampering with the complete nutrition that keeps them healthy.

3 people like this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This, so so much!

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    x3!

10. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ok. I'm sort of on the other end of the spectrum. My girls don't have a coop. They're in a large run, half of which is covered, and they roost up in a tree. Most are 7 months old. Some are 4 months old. Do they need more to get through winter? I'm in South Carolina. Nights get down to 20s or 30s, but daytime temps are almost always 40s or above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by