cold weather open-air poultry house question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KayfromWI, Aug 17, 2011.

1. KayfromWI

KayfromWI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    I live in the mid-west where we have real winters! I have a 16'X8' shed that was delivered a few days ago. I am very interested in the open-air poultry house ideas. I was wondering how I would make the opening for the hardware cloth covered opening? Obviously I just cut the opening, but can I leave the framed studs in place? YOu could invision a jail house look to it, 1-2 large square openings (4'X4') covered with hardware cloth. Would it be detrimental to leave the framing in place and just cut the exterior wood siding? If o.k., should I paint the 2X4s? Maybe it isn't even possible to cut the exterior wood and not the framing? I need to have a plan before I tell hubby to cut my new shed!

A lovely picture would be in the topic about a "Woods" inspired house by JackE

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I would cut the siding and leave the studs but you could also cut the studs and build a frame like you would for a window. You can certainly cut the siding before you put it on the shed. It would be easier. I think painting the studs would be wise or swap them out for pressure treated lumber.

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Leave the studs unless you want to frame out a window and that requires a header and forming cripple studs below. How about just painting the studs that cross the opening black. something that will disappear in the background.....

4. KayfromWI

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:What do you mean by "cut the siding before you put it on the shed."? maybe you are thinking this is still being built? It is already built.

I was thinking about the window option also, thanks.

I was wondering if those boards were pressure treated? Suppose not?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Yes I did think it was a kit. The studs won't be pressure treated because the siding would be there to protect them.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I'd cut a 3' high by 7' wide hole in one end. I redo the framing so as to have a header over the top of the new opening supported by cripple studs, with a support/framing studs in the middle. Install hardware cloth over the new opening/window You don't have to use treated wood (I didn't). Just paint it. Make sure the open end is facing away from your prevailing winter winds.
    Jack

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just make sure the screened areas allow for an air "dead zone" so that cold drafts cannot reach your roosting birds...

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    If your husband has a "sawsall", he can easily cut off the portion of the shed that you want gone and still leave the framing studs. I think it would look great to paint them what ever color the rest of the outside is. It would look finished. Best wishes for getting your husband to do that! Mine would look at me like I was a mad woman! [​IMG]

9. KayfromWI

Aug 1, 2011
    I was also thinking about using the east side door opening and covering it with screen and framing up the same size door opening on the SE corner and doing the same. So I would use two screens the size of doors on the corner of the E and SE corner. I would think the wind comes from the W or N? I could make one of the doors a two part opening so I could walk through it also. Like a horse door.

This way if I decide to turn it into storage, I could just hang up real doors.

Am I correct that people put sand in front of these openings and seperate it with a board and use deep litter elsewhere?

all this thought and the chicks aren't even born yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by