1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold weather question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Centralflafred, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    I have a flock of 9 N.H. Reds and 3 bantams here in central Fla. The Temps are predicted to get to 29° tonight. I keep the girls in a 10X10 dog kennel and have 10X 7 of it covered heavy tarp material to keep out the rain and hot Florida sun. The wife thinks we need to put out some kind of a heat lamp and close up the kennel all the way for this weather. When I leave for work most nights I'll look in on them and they'll be sitting on the roosts sleeping when I leave. Do I need to take extra care tonight?

What say ye?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I would say NO ... 29 is really not that cold. If you want to hang something down the sides to cut down on drafts, that would be a plus.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    No. They'll be fine. [​IMG]

4. Centralflafred

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    Thanks, I was thinking they'd be OK.

Maybe it's a guy thing.

That Mars and Venus stuff kicking in.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I would not use a heat lamp but maybe have a heavy blanket or a tarp so the sleeping area is more sheltered. They can at least find a spot that is protected from the wind and stays a bit warmer. Make sure they have liquid water. This will be short-lived and the days will be above freezing. Bad for your strawberries though!!~!! Strawberry Festival in Plant City is soon.....Used to go when I lived in Tampa

6. Centralflafred

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by