1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold weather question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Me and my two Chicks, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Me and my two Chicks

Me and my two Chicks New Egg

Oct 2, 2010
    Long Island
    How cold does it have to be before I start to worry about my chickens? They are about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. I have a coupe with no insulation. Should I put some in?

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Here's my two pennies... I don't worry about the cardinals, blue jays or pigeons during the winter and my chickens are bigger and have a warmer place to stay than they do. I threw a bit more hay into my coop this evening, but I know my girls will huddle up and do just fine. My chickens are cold-hardy breeds, though.

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    They'll be fine. Humidity is the enemy in freezing temps, not the cold itself. My coop is not insulated. Last winter we had a low temp of 5 degrees one night and many nights well below freezing. All my birds did very well in their first winter. Don't worry.

4. Me and my two Chicks

Me and my two Chicks New Egg

Oct 2, 2010
    Long Island
    Thank you for the info. I was just a little nervous.

5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    I had the same question glad I found this post.

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:It gets 30 below here. Coop is insulated on 3 walls.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I'll go lower than that--by 25 degrees to 20 below--the chickens were fine. Just as long as they are out of the wind, under cover and in a well ventilated place where they have food and water they will laugh at the weather you think is nasty. Believe me, after 25 years of keeping them here I can tell you that you will suffer a lot more taking care of them than they will.

8. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Thats crazy...... Way to cold for me....lol

9. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Thats crazy...... Way to cold for me....lol

Its only for a few weeks in the middle of winter here in south central Alaska.
    By the way, I grew up in Kansas!

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Here's a great, informative page written by THE authority on winterizing coops, patandchickens. She is out of Canada, and is very, very experienced and sensible about this stuff.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

That said, my wimpy Tennessee chickens do have supplemental heating, but I also practice Pat's advice on keeping my coops dry and well ventilated. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by