Cold Weather Treat! Disclosing my Secret Recipe!

Preservation Acres

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Hello Friends,

It's crazy cold out here. Not sure what the temps are right now, but we had a wind chill of 3 degrees this morning. I know that you folks in Minnesota laugh at that, but it's a big deal here! :)

I decided to make a warm meal for my hens, and they are really tearing into it right now. Here's my recipe...but please, let's keep it only between friends! :)

Boil water. Add enough rolled oats to make a very watery oatmeal. Crack 3 or 4 eggs right into the mixture and work them in. Add pancake mix to the mixture and mix until you end up with an "Oatmeal, Omelet Pancake". Spread it out on a flat plate and let it cool until it's warm to the touch but not too hot.

Your hens will love you forever!

thumbsup.gif

The first bag of chicken feed I purchased has pellets (soy & I believe alfalfa) oats & some other mash like stuff. It was a special blend someone had made up from a feed supply place & I was told to add hot water to the mix, which they particularly love when its cold out. I really only feed it to them now variably, mostly as a cold weather treat because it is a very messy feed.

...JP

Been doing that for awhile. I love that you can cook the egg right in the oatmeal and dont have to mess up the frying pan or wait for them to boil, then chop them up. I actually cook oats and quick-cooking grits together with the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom