Cold Weather Treat! Disclosing my Secret Recipe!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Preservation Acres, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hello Friends,

It's crazy cold out here. Not sure what the temps are right now, but we had a wind chill of 3 degrees this morning. I know that you folks in Minnesota laugh at that, but it's a big deal here! :)

I decided to make a warm meal for my hens, and they are really tearing into it right now. Here's my recipe...but please, let's keep it only between friends! :)

Boil water. Add enough rolled oats to make a very watery oatmeal. Crack 3 or 4 eggs right into the mixture and work them in. Add pancake mix to the mixture and mix until you end up with an "Oatmeal, Omelet Pancake". Spread it out on a flat plate and let it cool until it's warm to the touch but not too hot.

Your hens will love you forever!

2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    Thakns for sharing, i promise not to pass it on..lol

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sounds good.

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    duly noted!

My hens will be thanking you!

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I don't suggest taste testing it! My sons were watching me making it. They smelled it and said "DAD! THAT'S NASTY!"

6. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    thanks for sharing! I gave mine warm oatmeal this morning with wheat germ and cran raisins! But the eggs and pancake mix sounds good I will try it!

7. smileyfacecat

smileyfacecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Wrentham, MA
    [​IMG]

8. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    The first bag of chicken feed I purchased has pellets (soy & I believe alfalfa) oats & some other mash like stuff. It was a special blend someone had made up from a feed supply place & I was told to add hot water to the mix, which they particularly love when its cold out. I really only feed it to them now variably, mostly as a cold weather treat because it is a very messy feed.

...JP

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Been doing that for awhile. I love that you can cook the egg right in the oatmeal and dont have to mess up the frying pan or wait for them to boil, then chop them up. I actually cook oats and quick-cooking grits together with the eggs.

10. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I also add a sprinkle or two of Cinnamon in mine it probably do help them any but it sure does make there poo smell better lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by