Cold weather treats?

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
What are some of your favorite cold weather treats to give your flock? It’s not unusual for our low (with windchill) to stay around -30 to -40, so I like to occasionally give my girls a little warm treat.

Usually I just go with plain oatmeal and throw in some mealworms, they seem to like it! What’s your go-to?!

Attachments

• 6E1A6671-B29A-463D-B005-293369ED3F22.jpeg
    6E1A6671-B29A-463D-B005-293369ED3F22.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 08CD2C4A-B14B-490E-BD87-E6F018B2960F.jpeg
    08CD2C4A-B14B-490E-BD87-E6F018B2960F.jpeg
    788.3 KB · Views: 1
A local grocery store near me makes fresh suet balls for wild birds, I bought a couple as a treat and my chickens went NUTS for them! A little bit of extra fat and protein for those cold days!
I enjoy watching them bat it around like a piñata amongst them 😅 so nice to have a store near you that makes them fresh! Thanks for sharing!

Great idea! Sometimes I make things more difficult than they need to be. Don’t tell my husband I admitted to this 😜
I am right there with you! I'm happy putting in way too much time overthinking things, so I'm also glad to find some simple things to knock me back down to sanity :lau My husband probably thinks the warm mash is too difficult, but now he's out there pulling grass clumps for them!

I also make a mash out of feed, and give them oatmeal when I make it for the family. I omit the sugar for them, but they prefer it with milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Sigh. They're spoiled.

My go-to treat is their food, wetted into a mash. It can be cool in the summer, and warm in the winter.

I have a few things I use to wet it down. Plain water, whey (from making Greek style yogurt), sourdough starter, kombucha tea. Even just a little warm is a lot warmer than their dry food sitting in a feeder at outdoor temps.

Another treat is the mush leftover from making bone broth.

Back
Top Bottom