cold weather

ltstrouse12

Chirping
Feb 13, 2015
Ok im near philly and its going down to a record low of 3 degrees in two days should i heat the coup or what???/

Last edited:
No, 3 degrees isn't that cold for a chicken. We get down into the -20's every winter. They do appreciate the prevailing winds blocked and something like hay to stand on outside. Don't close up your coop too much as moisture buildup is worse than temperatures.

What kind of chickens and how old are they? Most healthy chickens of normal feather will be fine as long as they can get out the wind and rain. At such low temps, though, you might have some frostbite on the combs and wattles. Silkies and Bantams, however, are a different story and may need supplemental heat.

Chickens can handle cold easier than they can handle heat. Just make sure you have good ventilation, but without putting the chickens in a draft. The worst thing you can do is close the coop up tight. Moisture will accumulate in a tight coop from their poop and breathing. Then you could be looking at frost bite. They should do just fine. My chickens are in Montana and they haven't had a bit of trouble.

Philly, we get as could at -30, and mine are fine, don't worry about warm, worry about dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens, damp chickens at cold chickens, and a air tight coop with heat, is going to be damp! Keep the ventilation open, make sure there is dry absorbent bedding on the floor, and they will be fine.

tks for the info. I will just clean and rebed the coup for the weather its only a few days. they are an egglayer assortment of different chickens but no bantems or silkys

Ditto what everyone else said. My first winter here in SE PA with chickens was 1994. We had a week of - temps, lowest was -22 and my flock did fine. Rooster had a slight bit of frostbite, but he came through it fine.

Back
Top Bottom