Cold weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Takemine77, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Takemine77

Takemine77 Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2016
    Do chickens need more food in cold weather?

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Not necessarily. Generally they just need more fat in the winter, this sometimes accomplished by the chickens eating more feed.
    Other times it is accomplished by the additive of various treats. My chickens don't eat a much more in cold weather until there is no longer any natural forage for them to eat. I like to give them meat scraps in the winter to up the fat levels.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My girls eat more feed when it's cold even with less daylight. They spend about twice as long at the feeder when I turn on the light at 5am. They are gobbling it down like they haven't eaten in days. I estimate they eat about 50 percent more on a cold day to maintain body temperature. I had to fill my feeder a day early, would have been empty tomorrow. Usually would be 1/3 full tomorrow in warm weather.GC[​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My feed consumption doubles in winter, mostly due to them not being able to free range and find some of their own food.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Yeah I bet it could double, this will be my first winter with chickens in 35 years, when my mom had chickens and ducks. I didn't keep track of feed back then as a kid. Mom bought the feed. But that's OK my chickens pay for the feed, so eat up girls. GC

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm just happy that it's less in the warm months.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mine do not free range....and consumption goes up some in winter, but not double.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by