1. Sandra Verbreyt

Sandra Verbreyt In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2017
    Temse Belgium
    I live in Belgium and next week the foredast is extremely cold weather on the way as low as -10 during the day. I do not have a coop heater or eleticity at the bottom of the garden. What measures can I take to keep my girls warm especially through the night which is going to be extremely cold. Any advice will be greatly received.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    -10 Celsius is not very cold for chickens. If your chickens are seasoned to the current winter weather, they should handle the coming chill with no problem.
    Provide them with plenty of food, and water. Make sure there is sufficient ventilation, but draft free.
    Draft = when the air movement ruffles chicken's feathers.
    WISHING YOU BEST...... :thumbsup

3. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2. Chickens cope better with the cold than they do with the heat and they will be just fine. If you have any leghorns or other breeds with large combs, do rub a thin layer of Vaseline on their combs and wattles to reduce the risk of frostbite. Do remember to check their waterers too to make sure they are not iced over :thumbsup

featheredplanets likes this.
  4. alliblue

alliblue In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2018
    Oregon
    If I understand you correctly they have a coup just not a heater inside? When temperatures really drop here I take my birds out a hot meal of homemade mash in the evening. And on days its blistering I put their daily rations of produce and scraps in the coup instead of outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by