cold weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Dec 7, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Do your chickens still want to go out in the cold and do you just open pop door so they can go in or out. Mine will stay out from sun up to sun down no mater what? Freezing rain, snow, wind and temps in the teens. Whats up with that? My Fav's breads are always wet from drinking and they wont go in either. Help what to do with silly chickens?

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I leave my pop door open all the time so my hens can go in and out as they please. It was funny this morning, though. They saw their first snow and were all huddled around the door not wanting to go out. I spead some cracked corn out in the snow and some came out to get it, but others weren't going to put their chicken feet in the snow no matter what. I even tried to chase them out into the snow and they ran back into the coop.

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Mine go out anytime. I always have their door open unless it is high winds/ heavy rain/heavy snow etc.

They will take themselves in when theya re ready. At least mine will anyway. They stay outside then go inside and snuggle for a while I have noticed, then get up and head right back outside to go play. Silly birdz0rs!

4. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I leave the pop hole open for the day also. They seem to come out, have breakfast, go back in for a while, come out scratch around, then huddle together and preen.

Mine have taken to eating the snow- and yes they do have water!

5. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    pop door is open in the day, closed at night

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It was in the single digitS' and windy this morning. I left the pop door closed and went back 2 hours after turning on their light to open it.

I think that a couple of them hadn't even gotten off the roost [​IMG]. The open door brought them right down but I'm sure they aren't going to spend much time on their "sun porch".

That open door will mostly mean that I have to replace the water 3 times instead of twice today. It does seem to encourage some "interest" in the larger world, tho' [​IMG].

Steve

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    No pop door just person door. It is open all day long. Chickens are out in all weather they dont care unless it is a big bird flying over. mine free range no enclosed pen.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    The pop door is open at all times during the day.....and even at -30 my birds enjoy playing in the snow. they go back in as they lay or wish to.
    [​IMG]

I think I worry to much. as I was trying for awhile to chase them back into the coop when it was that cold.

currently it is + 20 here, so I knw they will go in & out all day.

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    We are going to have our first subzero wind chills of the season this Thursday following our first major snow (we have "blizzard" warnings starting Tuesday night). My DH went and bought more straw bales. We have them all along the north facing of the runs and coops and now the west--- the truth is I think I need the wind screen more than the chickens... BRRRRRRRRRRRR......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by