$%&# cold weather

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Uzuri, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Thanks to some rain and then temps dropping to 0, my girls are now frozen solid in their house (at least the people door still opens, so they won't starve!) Thanks to a cold and a broken toe--the two are actually related, but I won't tell that story right now--I can't see myself doing much about it at the moment, and temps aren't looking much better through next Wednesday. Sheesh!

So I guess that's one downside of using bolts and wingnuts to lock the pop door. Those suckers freeze SOLID when they freeze.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I think this cold spell has us all having to deal with stuff like that. I know I'm bummed about it.
    Hope you get to feeling better.

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i have been rotating water jugs. keeping on inside until the other freezes then switching them.

poor girls wont even come out of the coop unless i go outside.

4. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    I agree with the chickens - this weather is the pits. They haven't been coming out because of the snow, not to mention the horrible wind and low temps. I gave them apples to play with, and that was a hit. Then this morning I put a bale of timothy/clover/strawberry hay out there, and that actually made them venture out! My little Cochin roo was chirping up a storm to his hens.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I hate this weather. My girls hate this weather too! Everything was going so well until now! Now I've got feather pickers, a muddy/useless run, and a bunch of upset babies. Poor Ramses, I can't put him in with the girls because of this weather so he is stuck in a little coop by himself [​IMG]

I'm hoping to go look at a flat panel, 400-800 watt halogen heater tomorrow for them.... I hope the PP's get here soon.

I used to love snow until I had chickens. [​IMG]

6. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    I normally don't mind this weather -- when it shows up in February! December is too early for it.

Well, at least the girls are inside and relatively warm; still wish I could get that door open for them, though. I'd like to run a heat lamp out to them and try to thaw the thing, but since my cold got worse today (missed work; I think it's settling in my chest), that's not going to happen right now. No end in sight, either... predictions out to Christmas Eve put the highest high here at 27. We're in a mocroclime that means we'll probably see no higher than 24.

7. cottage19

cottage19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Winter is here. With the wind chill it was 5 degrees yesterday with snow squalls. Our coop is attached to the barn. There is a people door between the coop and barn, a covered run is attached to the coop with a pop door access. The girls have totally deserted the run and are happy running around the barn and playing in the straw we threw down for them. Today a few of them did venture out for treats but headed back indoors once the treat wagon ran dry. I can see the barn door from my kitchen - they look so funny hanging out in the barn doorway debating the weather. [​IMG]

8. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    I got 'em loose!

Actually meant to post this yesterday. They must have raised the inside temp enough for me to open the door late Thursday. I wiped it off real good and it opened yesterday morning as well. I feel a lot better now that they can get out, even if they're not exercising that particular choice much XD

9. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I hate snow & cold. I do deal better with the colder temps than with snow. We usually get these cold day stretches in February. Having them now hopefully indicates an early Spring. Did I mention I hate snow, useless crap.

10. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    J.Pryce :

I hate snow & cold. I do deal better with the colder temps than with snow. We usually get these cold day stretches in February. Having them now hopefully indicates an early Spring. Did I mention I hate snow, useless crap.

I love snow. Mind you, we get it rarely, and it doesn't stay long. Usually its just a couple of inches in February and March. It comes and goes quickly. I'm pretty sure that if we had snow like you have snow, I would probably have a completely different view of it.

Anyhow - today we have snow. We have LOTS of snow. [for us, anyway] About 6 inches so far, and still snowing quite well. I cannot remember it ever snowing before Christmas, in all my 50+ years! I've been out walking in it, taken some pictures, and just love how it deadens sound - making an eerie silence.

Anyway, as the school chickens are in my back garden for the holidays, i thought I'd go and let them out for a bit of a run round. I only have a small coop here as their proper home is in our school grounds. They just come here when there's no one at school to take care of them.

They were less than impressed with the snow. They steadfastly refused to come out, despite promises of treats! As much as they're able - it was dirty looks all round!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by