1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cold weather

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mirsy09, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mirsy09

mirsy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    White Rock, BC
    This morning when I oened up the coop, there was one dead chicken. It was cold last nite, -5 Celcius. I don't know if that was the cause?? I do keep them under a !00 watt lite on a timer for 12 hours to keep them laying in the winter. Can I get a bulb that will throw heat and supply them with enough lite to keep they laying.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    -5 C shouldn't be too cold for most chickens. I suspect there may have been some other problem with that particular bird.

3. Dan Oelke

Dan Oelke New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    Otsego, MN
    We have had many birds doing just fine in -17C and colder weather.... now they had a 250W bulb close to them and a smaller coop. So, that temp isn't the problem or at least it isn't the problem all by itself.

One problem we have had is that when the weather gets colder we close up the ventilation and seal up the coop pretty good. Then, however the shavings and manure mixture doesn't dry out and ammonia starts to build. Bacteria love the moisture and thrive. The increased amount of bacteria in the environment can stress the birds. The increased ammonia stresses the birds. The cold temps stresses the birds. Add up all those stresses and a weak bird might die.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    That's not really cold enough to kill a chicken (I'm assuming there were other chickens in the coop). An infrared bulb will keep the chickens nice and warm without disturbing their sleep or laying schedule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by