cold weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Nov 29, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    just wondering about the cold weather. i just got my girls back in april so this is our first time with cold weather. it will be in the 30's tonight should i put a light out there in their coop with them? or will they be ok?

2. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Since they are 7-8 months old they will be fine with no light. They just need a draft free place to sleep. They will be ok..

3. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Quote:X2 They'll be fine.

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Some of my girls are the same age as yours, and I have some that are 3 1/2 months old. My flock was fine the other night with no heat at 26 degrees.

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut

X3
    You should be using this time to get the used to the colder weather, don't worry, they'll be fine. They'll even grow in more feathers!
    What breeds are they? I suppose that does make a difference, some chickens just aren't meant for cold.

I look at it this way: if the power goes out in the middle of winter I'd rather have chickens who can handle the cold than have to think about trying to heat them.

6. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It will be getting down to the high twenties by Thursday and If I have learned anything from this site, it is the fact that the birds will be fine in the cold weather.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama

X3
    You should be using this time to get the used to the colder weather, don't worry, they'll be fine. They'll even grow in more feathers!
    What breeds are they? I suppose that does make a difference, some chickens just aren't meant for cold.

I look at it this way: if the power goes out in the middle of winter I'd rather have chickens who can handle the cold than have to think about trying to heat them.

yeah that is a good point. i remember here in alabama in april when we had the tornadoes come through. we were with out power for around 3 days or more. the girls were little then and it was hard trying to keep them warm. we used a coleman tank with the one eye burner in the bathroom. it was still chilled here then. i just have 3 one is a barred rock and the other 2 are buff orpingtons.

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:BURRRR i must have missed that forecast.

9. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    This thread has a post by WyoDodge that pretty well sums up the cold weather question. Here is the thread..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7738282#p7738282

And WyoDodges post...

wyododge wrote:
    There is no place in the US (and that includes Alaska) that is too cold for chickens. Trust me when I say they do just fine with little shelter outside at -40.

Think wild birds, they are the same as chickens but have less food and water, only the shelter they find, which generally is a tree.

They adjust to their surroundings, adding heat or keeping them warm makes them reduce their 'coat' so they suffer more. The best thing you can do for them is to get them in a cold environment, and keep them in a cold environment. And no day time high temperatures will not affect this. they react to extreme lows and highs which do not happen at the same time.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by