Cold weather ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Dec 9, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Its been pretty cold here the last few days (lows in the single digits) I was wondering for the chicks well being would it be better to leave them in the coop shut up for warmth or leave the pop door open to the cold and let them come and go out as they please. I,m worried about frostbite on thier combs and so forth. My coop is well ventilated and dry . I,m just concerned. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll make up their own minds. They're chickens. They have instinctive preferences and will react according to their inner directive.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is mine a couple of winters ago when it was 4 degrees F. I give mine the option. They don't like wind, but cold does not bother them. Several of mine even get used to snow and go out to forage in it if grass and weeds are sticking up where they can get to them.

[​IMG]

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Let them out, they will be just fine [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine run around in -10*...go figure!
    They go to protection when they want to...they will be fine.

Here is a couple pics of mine on the back door step...chilly, but loving it, it was around 0* this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks everyone.My minds at ease somewhat. With over 10 inches of snow the other day i shoveled out the run and they didnt seem to mind but as for the snow in the yard they didnt bother until I blowed an area out for them to free range, then they went exploring. They act as if the snow is some kind of disease they dont like it.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...most breeds have bare feet...lol. [​IMG] It helps if you toss around some straw in the areas you shoveled for them [​IMG]

8. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    This is my first winter with chickens and I let mine out during the day with the option to go in and out of their doorless 'coop', but now that it is getting colder at night I was wondering if I should put a door on their 'coop' (more like a 5x2x2.5 house). I have read several times that ventilation is good but drafts are not... any suggestions on what to do?

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Well...personally I would never leave the door open unless your run is like Fort Knox, welded wire all the way around - including on the run 'roof'. But yeah, in winter especially I'd stick a door on there to close at night. In such a short coop, it's hard to work that ventilation vs drafts things. Normally, you'd want vent. higher than the roosting chickens. Up high gives a place for warm moist air (from poop and respiration) to escape, since warm air rises. But you want no cold breezes to be able to reach your roosting birds. That's harder to do in a short coop. So you might work your ventilation out at the end furthest away from the roost, and tack burlap or something over it (to diffuse/buffer winds). JMO

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is some of my brother's chickens.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by