cold wet and muddy - floods

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Nov 16, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    we've recently had terrible weather here which flooded half the country, luckily the water has started to receed but we are left with soggy fields, full of wet soggy cold mud.
    now all my poultry (and the donkey) have been cut off from us for a few days, the water was too high we couldnt get out to them until today. and the poor chickens are covered head to foot in mud. i cant possibly hand wash all 100 so is there anything i can do to help them? the younger smaller chicks are worse off as they were 'closer' to the ground..but thank the lord no casualtys or losses!

the bottom of the chicken house are also water logged, which ive just cleared out (all the wet muddy bedding) but theres no way the houses will dry out in this weather (freezing point)
    will they be ok in these houses? if i pile them up with straw etc....or will the dampness likely cause chest infections/disease etc?

i cant afford new houses for all the chickens but i could possibly knock together some sort of shelter for a few?

i dont really know what else i can do...if i take the houses away the chickens have nothing...if i leave them there are they gonna be a health hazard?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Can you hook up some heat lamps or a space heater to dry the houses out?

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I'm hoping all will be well with your chickens and donkey too. Please keep us updated.

4. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    how big are the houses? maybe you could put wooden pallets or something on the ground so they're not standing in it constantly. I'm not sure about the health issues, as this is my first year with chickens, but if it were me, I would probably try to use straw or sand or something since there isn't a lot of other options in this weather.

do you have neighbors with poultry? maybe there's someone in your area going through this as well...

sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do hope you get it figured out soon [​IMG]

eta: I just read a news story about the flooding, that's terrible! was your home safe from damage?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by