Cold: will tetracyclene contaminate the eggs? Something safer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roo-many, Nov 25, 2012.

1. roo-many

roo-many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Hi. Our rooster has been having cold symptoms for a total of 5 days. He was hoarse the first day and seemed not to be crowing. After that, he did crow although maybe not quite as loud, so I thought he was recovering, but last night and this morning I heard a purring sound that seems to be congestion, and then..he sneezed. His compromised voice may be the reason a hawk got one of our hens yesterday; first time that has happened as he usually communicates with them and they hide.

The girl at TSC suggested we put some antibiotics in the water so they would all get it if they need it. I have tetracyclene on hand from when we had a sick chick this year, but I am pregnant and worried about contaminating the eggs, since tetra is known to cause birth defects in humans. We give most of the excess eggs to our church pantry, so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that either in case there's a danger. Does anyone know for SURE that it's safe, or if there are more "natural" or other alternatives? If not and I have to use tetra, how long do I give it for and how much, and how long before the eggs are safe again? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tetracycline aka duramycin, has a 21 day withdrawal period. You might be better off using tylan soluable powder which only has a 1 day withdrawal period.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. roo-many

Jun 2, 2012
    Thank you! Does that mean don't eat the eggs for 21 days after we stop the medication? Do you know how long should we give the tetra for?

4. roo-many

Jun 2, 2012
    Doh! Not sure how I missed the part about the tylan. I'll see if I can get that.

5. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    I had contacted University of Tennessee about this issue and they told me under no circumstances if you give your chickens any antibiotics you cannot eat the eggs or the chickens ever. I know people do it all the time, but for us we have been treating them naturally with Apple cider vinegar and pumpkin seed.

6. roo-many

Jun 2, 2012
    As in, "for the rest of their lives"? How do you treat with apple cider vinegar and pumpkin seed?

7. TNBEARCHICK

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    ACV YOU PUT IN THERE WATER, you need to be using plastic waters(no galvanized) about 1-2 table spoons per gallon(be sure to limit there water to this water as much as possible. Pumkin(mostly the seeds are a great d wormer) there is a good thread on here about acv and its benefits, while it is not a cure all, wow how it works.[​IMG]

here is one of the forums Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    ACV may help prevent cocci and respiratory diseases, but it will certainly not treat nor cure either.

9. TNBEARCHICK

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    from our experience and from the experience of the "old timers" on the old timers thread if you treat them with antibiotics they are useless and if they are too weak to make it through sickness, you wouldn't want to breed them anyway. We have dealt with this issue in the past with more than 150 chickens and the best results have always been the ACV. The chickens that had been treated with antibiotics are being culled due to the defects that they can cause in human consumption.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My old timer experience is to cull sick birds when it comes to respiratory diseases. I dont have time to nursemaid sick birds...waste of time and money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by