Cold Winters

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckTuckandRole, May 9, 2016.

1. DuckTuckandRole

DuckTuckandRole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    My duck house is very open, with a very little closed space for the ducks. In the winter do i insulate and cover up the open areas? I have a Pekin and a Swedish Blue.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I do not believe ducks need insulation, like chickens they handle cold very well. I do not know much about ducks. However I know some people who are very experienced with them: @LittleLakePhil has ducks and he lives in Northern Michigan, so he would be the one who could tell you how he cares for his ducks in his long winter.
    Also @Debs Flock and @RavynFallen are also very experienced with ducks

3. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Can you post a picture of your duck house? How cold does it get overnight there during winter? @LittleLakePhil has weather more similar to yours than I do. My ducks did fine over the winter. We have them in a fully enclosed coop (about 75 sq feet) at night and I'd throw in about 1/4 bale of straw every time I cleaned their coop.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Realistically, ducks don't need any insulation during winter... at least not full sized ones... they are wearing a thick down jacket under those waterproof feathers...

Now draft free and predator proof is needed... a little bedding like Deb mentioned, well ventilated, and dry should be just fine... :)

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Unless you're one of a few of Amiga's Runner flock. Then you don't do so well below 35F.

We have some ducks who simply are not as cold-hardy as the duck reputation. They shivered, walked with necks tucked in, stopped laying, walked stiff-legged, and were generally miserable and not thriving until I moved them into a night pen that stayed around 40F.

Within a few days, they were laying again, feathers looked normal, no more shivering or scrunched necks, walking normally, chatty, content. I took them to the vet - nothing particularly wrong with them, just not cold-hardy.

Observation is valuable. The ducks told me they were too cold.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I stand corrected... very true, Amiga, they will let you know what they need... :)

I remember you mentioning that before, actually... I just didn't think about it since they didn't say Runner, lol...

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And there are many Runners who do much better in the cold. I don't think I made any big mistakes raising them - followed Storey's Guide and did my best...we just had a few who don't thrive in the cold.

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    All we can do is our best... :)

9. DuckTuckandRole

DuckTuckandRole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here it is and it gets to about -10 degrees on average, some winters are colder than others.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That is really beautiful!

-10 Farenheit, yes?

With just the two of them here are my thoughts:

The more ducks, the more they potentially could huddle together and benefit from the collective warmth. (of course, do my Runners huddle? No o o o o o o of course not!)

With just two ducks, I don't think they will be able to keep themselves warm enough when it's that cold.

The advantage of just two ducks is that the space you'll need to keep them at a healthy temperature is minimal. Do you have a utility room that has, oh, an extra 12 square feet?

That's just 3x4.

Last edited: May 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by