Cold

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epitidios, Dec 10, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Up to now we had in my area temperatures far from normal. Till last night we had 20C (70F). This morning the temperature is down to 1C (34F). I went a while ago to water my flock and clean the coop. Some of them were inside the coop and they were far from being vivid. Also i got only one egg out of 9 egg laying hens. What can i do against cold? Also does cold affect egg laying?

Thanx in advance

2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:Hi,

The cold definately does affect them along with daylight hours. Right now outside my window it is 4 degrees outside!! In one of my coops out of 18 laying hens I get about 5-9 eggs per day right now. Some breeds are heartery winter layers than others. My Orps and Production Reds seem to lay all year round.

Don't worry 34 degrees is nothing [​IMG] If you feel like they are really cold you could always make sure they have a nice flat roosting boards so they can roost/set ontop of it and cover their legs with their plumage. I've also heard of folks putting heating lamps in the coop too. I personally do not and my main concern for my birds in this cold weather is a good roosting pole, draft free roosting spot/coop, and plenty of ice free water and food.

Best Wishes,
    Beth [​IMG]

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    colder days, shorter exposure to sun light both effect laying. You can provide them with warm bedding like straw to hunker down in. If you know that it will be way chillier than usual, you can close windows and vents in the coop to help keep the heat in. Some people will put in heating lamps as well, but personally, that makes me nervous. I wouldn't want to run the risk of a fire.

4. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanx a lot for your tips. I make a straw floor for them and hope that the temperature will not to really low values. If the temperature drops down to -20C then i can always move them in the basement.... [​IMG]

scbatz33 where is the Valley of the gun????

5. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Quote:HI. I'm in Coeur d 'Alene ID. its been colder here then usual.I purchased an oil filled heater.Now the coop stays at 50 degrees F.I like it because there is no exposed elements and its controlled with a built in themostat.I too was worried about fires.so far so good.The girls are happy. and I sleep better knowing they are warm and the water does not freeze anymore.It cost about $30.US GOOD LUCK

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There was a thread recently about chickens living happily in Alaska without supplemental heat, in temperatures far colder than most of us experience - you might read that for some ideas. I don't know where you are from but in my area it typically gets down below zero (F) at least a few times in the winter and it is not uncommon to have a week at a time where the high for the day is in the single digits or teens. I do not add supplemental heat. The only heat in the coop is what the girls themselves put out. I will say that last year I was able to leave the water bowl in the coop all night and it did not freeze, which means that at the very least, the girls were providing enough heat to keep the temperature in the coop above 32 - even when it was below zero outside. During the day I opened the coop door and they spent part of each day outside. To be honest, they didn't seem as miserable then as they did this summer when the temps soared above 100F and they had to sit around panting all day trying to stay cool. With temps of 34, I'd say your girls will be fine and you can stop worrying:)

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:It's below the alter of the sun.

8. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    This morning the water in their waterer had ice. So from now on i will keep it inside the coop. Part of their area is made like a green house, but the sun is so weak at the moment that has practically no effect. At least once per day they have a warm meal. Warm water and bran. [​IMG] They were really happy to have this noon.

9. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it was the sudden change that stopped their egg production. Mine have done that on the first really windy day they experienced and the first big snowfall. They will be great at 1 C once acclimated. It will get to -25C here in a day or two but I do have a heat lamp with a heat emitter. For temps that low I might go with a red 250 watt bulb. My lamp is not the aluminum but an upgraded much safer lamp.

10. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    The temperature has dropped down to -8C or 17F. As a result of this i am getting practically no eggs (1-2 per day). Apart from this is there any other danger from cold? Catch a disease?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by