1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I let my 6 week old chicks outside everyday until it starts getting dark. I was gone and it started raining and getting really cold outside. They had a roof over the top of them so they weren't rained on, just cold. They probably should be starting to go outside full time now but its been storming at night the past few days so I'm gonna wait a bit. I went to go get them to bring them inside and four of them were just fine but one of them stood there with her feathers puffed up as if she were cold. I thought she would be okay once she got warmed up but 5 hours later still puffed up and not eating or drinking. She shivers, too. Should she be feeling better tomorrow? Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like coccidiosis. It kills rapidly, and if she is still like that in the morning (I realize it's night now and there isn't anything you can do unless you have some meds on hand) I'd treat her for it.

Do you have any Corid or Sulmet on hand? That is what folks use to treat it. (Treat the whole flock that was exposed to this chick.) Keep the chick warm.

The peak age for coccidiosis is under 8 weeks of age, so she is at the correct age for it.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm
    here is a link

The classic signs of coccidiosis are as follows:

sits alone in a corner, eyes closed
    looks cold and lethargic
    may or may not have bloody poo
    may or may not have been eating medicated feed
    may or may not have had exposure to ground
    won't eat or drink
    You might see immediate deaths
    Feathers fluffed up

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    She's doing 'ok' now. The only thing shes doing is looking slightly puffed up feathers..Other than that she acts normal.

sits alone in a corner, eyes closed: did sit in corner by herself but not with eyes closed and not anymore
    looks cold and lethargic: not really anymore
    may or may not have bloody poo: no
    may or may not have been eating medicated feed: yes
    may or may not have had exposure to ground: yes
    won't eat or drink: at first she wouldn't now she does
    You might see immediate deaths: not yet, and I hope not ever! lol
    Feathers fluffed up: kinda sorta,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by