Colder feeling eggs in the 'bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 16, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    When I open my inucbator to turn/candle my eggs I notice that some feel cooler than the others do. And when I candle the cooler feeling eggs there is nothing there but the warmer feeling eggs all have chicks developing in them.

Is there something to this????

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    What kind of bator do you have?

3. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe the heat isn't evenly distributed?

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Yes. A living embryo generates heat. The larger it gets, the easier it becomes to feel the heat. An egg with a developing chick feels warmer, especially once you get past about the half-way point. A clear egg, or one with a dead chick, will not hold heat as long as one with a healthy, live chick. You can easily feel the temperature difference.

Of course, they still need an additional heat source, because they don't yet have enough body mass to retain that heat for long. But that's what you're detecting, the difference between a live creature, and a dead (or never present, such as an infertile egg) one.

I believe this is how many broody hens are able to tell a good egg from a bad one. When they come back to the nest after a meal/potty break, the good eggs will feel at least somewhat warm, the clears and deceased ones will feel cold. The hen feels these cold, uncomfortable lumps in her nest, and pushes them out.

Many prefer to think it's some mysterious process, the hen "just magically knows", but really, it's a matter of simple comfort. The cold eggs don't feel good on her underside, she gets rid of them.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a hovabator 1602N. I actually read on here last week about temps. not being even in every spot in the bator so I did start moving them around when I turn them. I didn't do this last time but I got a great hatch rate anyway.

I was thinking that dancingbear. When I candled the cooler eggs they didn't have an embryo in them so I figured the live ones would stay warmer than a dead or non developing one.

Thanks~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by