Coldest day of the year so far and my girls surprise me...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uzuri, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    First off by giving me 3 eggs, which is equal to the most I've gotten so far in one day, and second with one of the Wellies giving me this beauty:

[​IMG]

Wow! The egg to the right of the dark one is what both Wellies were laying up until today. Then this one came out. -15 degree windchill must have blown it out of her.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    -15? BRRRRRRRRR. (need a shivering/dying smiley)

What a beautiful egg! Congrats! Gosh I can't wait for my wellies to start laying. (they are only 10 weeks old [​IMG])

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    So far mine are cranking them out like it was summertime. I got 22 last two days from 24 pullets of 7 mo age. One is a runt that cannot yet lay. No artificial lighting and 16% feed with about 3 or 4 cups scratch total daily and all of our veggie & fruit scraps. We've been down to 15 at night. Was only 24 today and those chooks were all outside all day. Am getting about 10 good hrs daylight.[​IMG]

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Im still waiting for my wellie to lay! She is 8 months old or so, and not laying, which makes me sad. I only have 1 layer right now, my white rock. :C [​IMG]

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:And you have "real" Wellies that you hatched yourself if I remember correctly? They ought to beat my hatchery rejects in color hands down [​IMG] Frankly, this egg surprised the snot out of me. That's what happens when you're told not to get your hopes up XD

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    ours are doing very well too!
    I get 5 eggs from 5 hens!!! woo hoo!
    must be the heat lamp ive leave on all the time for them!!! [​IMG]

its mighty cold here in ct. too!!!

7. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    It's been dang cold here - even for MN. Minus 11 this morning - but all 4 of our girls are laying like it's the middle of summer.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I feel like the group climate wussy. It was 12 here this AM. 22 was the high yesterday, and we got 22 eggs from 24 pullets of 7 mo age. One is a crippled runt that does not yet lay. [​IMG] God has surely blessed my flock. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by