Coldest day of the year so far and my girls surprise me...

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
First off by giving me 3 eggs, which is equal to the most I've gotten so far in one day, and second with one of the Wellies giving me this beauty:

25978_darkegg.jpg

Wow! The egg to the right of the dark one is what both Wellies were laying up until today. Then this one came out. -15 degree windchill must have blown it out of her.

-15? BRRRRRRRRR. (need a shivering/dying smiley)

What a beautiful egg! Congrats! Gosh I can't wait for my wellies to start laying. (they are only 10 weeks old
he.gif
)

So far mine are cranking them out like it was summertime. I got 22 last two days from 24 pullets of 7 mo age. One is a runt that cannot yet lay. No artificial lighting and 16% feed with about 3 or 4 cups scratch total daily and all of our veggie & fruit scraps. We've been down to 15 at night. Was only 24 today and those chooks were all outside all day. Am getting about 10 good hrs daylight.
big_smile.png

Im still waiting for my wellie to lay! She is 8 months old or so, and not laying, which makes me sad. I only have 1 layer right now, my white rock. :C
he.gif

Quote:
And you have "real" Wellies that you hatched yourself if I remember correctly? They ought to beat my hatchery rejects in color hands down
big_smile.png
Frankly, this egg surprised the snot out of me. That's what happens when you're told not to get your hopes up XD

ours are doing very well too!
I get 5 eggs from 5 hens!!! woo hoo!
must be the heat lamp ive leave on all the time for them!!!
wink.png

its mighty cold here in ct. too!!!

I feel like the group climate wussy. It was 12 here this AM. 22 was the high yesterday, and we got 22 eggs from 24 pullets of 7 mo age. One is a crippled runt that does not yet lay.
cool.png
God has surely blessed my flock.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom