Cole slaw recipe needed

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
My mother used to make a cole slaw that you cooked the vinegar and sugar. There was also some type of spices used. The mixture was poured over the cut up cabbage and allowed to sit in the refrigerator to get cold. It had a great sweet sour taste and the cabbage stayed crunchy. Unfortunately I have never found her written copy of this recipe. Does anyone make this?

How about something like this, I have never made it though!

CLASSIC COLESLAW with BOILED DRESSING

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 90 minutes if needed but improves by resting 24 hours
Makes 8 cups

1 small to medium head green cabbage, outer leaves removed, sliced in half through the core

BOILED DRESSING
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour (be sure to fluff with a fork before measuring)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch ++ cayenne (a pinch yielded little flavor)
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I accidentally grabbed the white vinegar, it was no problem)
Generous salt
1 teaspoon celery seed (or more to taste)

[Optional: soak the cabbage halves in cold water in the frig for an hour.] Chop the cabbage into fine pieces.

DRESSING
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over MEDIUM. Stir in the flour, sugar, mustard and cayenne, stirring quickly to combine after each addition. Whisk together the yolks and milk in a small bowl, add the vinegar. (It will appear to curdle.) A tablespoon at a time, stir into the flour mixture, fully incorporating each new addition before adding more. Stir until the mixture thickens slightly and when drawing a finger across the back of a spoon, the finger's path remains clear. Season with salt and celery seed. Stir in the chopped cabbage. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate til ready to serve.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 39 Cal (38% from Fat, 15% from Protein, 47% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 2 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 5 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; NetCarb 4 points; 43 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 16 mg Sodium; 29 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1/2 point

Ok, I found a few recipes on my favorite site (Allrecipes.com), that have the method you mentioned: Warming vineger and sugar in a sauce pan, no mayo. All have different seasonings, so you may have to play around to find the right combo of seasons.

1) Tangy Coleslaw

Ingredients
6 cups shredded cabbage
2 medium carrots, shredded
4 celery ribs,
chopped 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery, green pepper and onion. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and paprika; shake well. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving

2) German Coleslaw

Ingredients
1 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
3 green onions, sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions
In a large bowl, combine cabbage and onions. In a saucepan, mix sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt; bring to a boil. Add oil; return to boiling and cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage; toss gently. Chill.

3) Amish Coleslaw

Ingredients
1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, and 1 cup sugar. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 teaspoon sugar, mustard and oil. Bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Cool completely, then pour over cabbage mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

---------------
I hope these help!
hugs.gif

Interesting! It would be great to have a recipe like this on hand for the times my boys eat all the mayo and don't tell me
tongue.png

Here is a good recipe for Cole Slaw. Everyone I made this for loves it. Told it taste a bit like KFC's cole slaw.

Coleslaw Recipe

Prep time 30 mins

Serves 24

4-1/2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
6-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup chopped onion
2-1/2 cups Miracle Whip
1 cup sugar
2 carrots
2 heads of cabbage

1. Mix oil, onions and sugar.
2. Add tarragon vinegar
3. Fold in Miracle Whip
4. Pour over grated carrots and cabbage
5. Fold in well
6. Refrigerate in an air-tight covered dish.
7. Best if made the night before serving.
8. The tarragon is the secret seasoning.
smile.png

From a former coworker:

CABBAGE SLAW

1 head cabbage sliced thin
1 cup sugar, sprinkled over

Boil:
1 cup vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 t. dry mustard (mustard seed)
1 t. celery seed
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Pour over and mix well. Will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.

Not sure about the dry mustard part. I think mustard seed would be kind of big and crunchy for this but it may work.

Back
Top Bottom