Colerian, North Carolina Transplant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ShellyBlanco, Aug 27, 2018.

1. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    This thread will document the events that convinced me and my husband to retire early. Moving from Naples, Florida to Colerain, North Carolina.
    This was the photo on the Real Estate Listing that made me want to buy this house. I was using Trulia to find a home in Eastern North Carolina and when I saw this, I knew this was my new home.
    Screenshot_2014-01-18-15-36-43.jpg

2. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    My husband and I were planning to "retire" to our 1 acre in North Carolina 4/2018 but our plans were moved forward due to Hurricane Irma flooding our home in Naples, Florida. So we spent our first winter in North Eastern North Carolina starting Nov 2018. What an experience, the house was in no way ready for winter. My husband had never even seen snow before (he is from Cuba) and I hadn't seen snow in more than 20 years. It was amazing though, we love it here.

2018-03-03 005.jpg
    Here's my husband (Leonardo) dressed like The Michelin Man (still) in March 2018. He probably has 2 more layers under that! LOL, poor man...he endures anything and everything for me.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :thumbsup Normally we see retires moving to the "warm" areas :lau But I understand your move, lovely house & Hubby's a keeper ;)

4. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    We lived in Bonita Springs, Florida (Lee County) a few miles North of Collier County. In 2005 we were able to keep the windows open without running air from October through May. After that, it seemed the best part of living in Florida (al fresco living) was unbearable. It turned into a/c from March until November. Seasons called hot and hotter just became drudgery. Not only that, the storms were more frequent and more intense. In September 2017, Hurricane Irma was on the radar. We were hunkered down for the long haul until on September 9, the local authorities called for 5 to 6 feet of storm surge in our neighborhood because of a local river (Imperial River). My husband and I still wanted to stay, but we have two small dogs and how was we going to deal with them if the house was flooded.
    We had been coming to Colerain (NC) since we bought the house in 2013 several times a year. We called it a vacation, but it was not much more than camping due to the deterioration of the house. We always came into mice and a few snakes inside (dead and alive), we had running water from a water hose through the window. We would keep at demolition and cover up before we would leave each time. Spending the entire time working inside and out. Oh, I forgot to mention the mowing and cleaning up of the property. The house sits on an acre with one shed that was leaning forward and sideways. Everything overrun with mice, snakes and spiders...but we could see the potential. There were a few times that I wondered, "just what have I gotten us into" and "will we ever see the light at the end of the tunnel on this place". I'm still asking myself that on some days, it's pretty overhwhelming. My husband just installed a point of use water heater in the bathroom. It is simply a cold pex line from the plumbing manifold to the tub and a pex line running to the Point of Use water heater and out to the tub. No valves, no faucets...but it felt like Christmas! Hot bath everynight now, feels oh so good!

Picture below from April/2016

20160429_061214.jpg

N F C and drumstick diva like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I truly admire your fortitude. You and your husband will have it fixed up to be a real showplace., a day at a time.

N F C likes this.
  6. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    Thanks so much, I swear, I feel like one of those people who need their hand held right now. You get to this point of utter exhaustion and want to throw in the towel. I'm going to go drink a V8 +Energy right now...onward!!

N F C likes this.
  7. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    We didn't get to take a vacation to our house after April 2016. My sister, Tammy, was supposed to come with us in April, but had progressed so far with Pancreatic Cancer that she could not travel. Instead of coming to Colerain, I went and stayed with her in St. Petersburg (FL) September through mid November. It was a wonderful time spent. I had my first grandson born while I was there on September 15, my birthdayis September 22 so we had family over and cooked an amazing Italian dinner. She helped plan what I was going to do to our Colerain house and how we were upgrading our Florida home to put it on the market. We listened to all those great songs we grew up on together, but this time we had video. Good times. I will never forget them. The weekly trips for either chemo or blood work was overwhelming for both of us. The shots they gave her because her platelets were so low, had horrifying side effects. I had been away from my husband and children for nearly three months. When they called and said "we need you Mom, we need to be together", I called my sister's children and told them they had to take over for the holidays, this would be their last ones with her. Her birthday was December 29th, the day after my son's. She had a beautiful holiday with her children and grandchildren and friends. She passed away January 7th, 2017.
    The photo below is what she held on for five years for, her grandchildren.

IMG_20130323_162205.jpg

N F C likes this.
  8. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    I was born with a left dislocated hip (1965). My mom kinda thought something was wrong when I was 18 months old. She took me to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky and they diagnosed it. Apparently I had had it all along. I had three surgeries and was in a body cast with a bar in between the legs for a while. They would remove and rebuild casts until at age 4 the cast look like a pair of shorts with a metal bar with shoes on it that I had to wear 24/7. Everything developed normally except I was the only kid in my family that had wide feet. Probably the cast had something to do with that :idunno. So after age six I didn't have to go get x-rays anymore :wootand life went on like every other kid,except for winter time pain in my left hip bone, but it wasn't bad. Then at age 35 I started having severe pain in my lower back (sciatica) for no reason. I worked in a Corporate Office, had had no kind of accident...just no reason :confused:. I went to the doctor who sent me to a sports doctor who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. Years and years had passed by and all the while a calcium deposit was growing on my sciatic nerve and my left hip was rubbing bone on bone. In 2005 I had my left hip replaced at age 40. Physically, life went down hill from there, total hip reconstruction (2 surgeries), infections that caused four surgeries for cancer removal and everything that went along with it. I have to say since moving here to our one acre (do I call it a farm? That's what wants to come out of my mouth/fingers, but it has no real barn...so I guess not), I feel like I am physically improving. Living here is nothing like our life in Florida, but I guess that life is just over. Out of the daily rat race! Now I'm in the Chicken Run!!! AND I have my partner in life right by my side! 20131011_080526.jpeg

9. N F C

N F C coffee time!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You've certainly had your share (and maybe more than your share) of knocks but you sound like you keep your spirits up and that's a good thing. Sorry for the loss of your sister, I know how hard that is.

Best wishes for smooth sailing from here on out :hugs

10. ShellyBlanco

ShellyBlanco Songster

Aug 20, 2018
    Colerain, North Carolina
    @N F C , thanks for reading and thanks for the response. Sometimes we just need to get it out for others to hear.

N F C likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: