Collared roosters stopped mating

Uberprof

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Our neighbors complained to the town's health department about the crowing issues, and we had to send a crowing rooster of ours far away to a town where they do not regulate on this. However, as the rest of the flock matures, we've decided to see if we can put a stop to the crowing by adding a collar. We isolated the maturest of the roosters and wrapped the under parts of their neck with paper and tape. The crowing stopped, but they've also become a little bit slow. They seem to lack the sharpness they used to have and are slow to rush to food. The mating rituals have stopped as well. It used to be that 4-5 roosters would chase their mother (a white silky) all over the place and mate with her, henceforth the silky has a bare dark back, seeing that its feathers were torn out. Nowadays, the silky roams free of harassment, and the roosters seem not to have too much interest in mating. The eggs are all unfertilized.

Would someone with previous experience please help? I apologize for the lengthy description.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you're possibly asphyxiting them. If you can't keep roosters where you live, don't keep roosters. I'm thinking a humane death would be better than being slowly suffocated. And please do something so that hen has a better life than being gang mated.

It sounds like your attempt at a DIY no-crow collar is causing more harm than good. An improperly applied collar can cause injury and even death. If you want to keep them and want them collared, you need to invest in a product that is more properly designed for this application.

Yeah...thanks for your reply.
The no-crow collar costs like $20+, and we have so many roosters. It's much too expensive if we are to cover all of them.
I guess I could adjust the materials a little bit and see if improvements would take place.

Back
Top Bottom