Collecting Eggs after being layed (did I spell that right? Is it laid?)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MikeandAngie, Nov 24, 2013.

1. MikeandAngie

MikeandAngie New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Trussville, AL
    My wife and I are new chicken owners. We got our first coop on Friday and our first chickens (4 Rhode Island Reds) on Saturday. We were surprised to see our first egg this morning.

Here's my question:

Do we collect the egg right away or do we let the chicken tend to it for awhile?

Thanks!

Mike and Angie

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome!
    Collect your eggs as soon as you see them. Sometimes chickens move the eggs around and break them accidentally. If they get bored they can also peck at the egg, discover how tasty they are and become egg-eaters - which you definitely don't want!! Once you have an egg-eater, it's very difficult to break them of the habit, [​IMG] Sue

3. MikeandAngie

MikeandAngie New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Trussville, AL
    Thank you, Sue! My wife and I are so excited to be chicken people! Since I posted this question we got anther egg!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You will soon find 'chicken math' comes into play..........it's where you suddenly find you have more than 4 because you couldn't resist a 'couple more'! [​IMG] I have already ordered my 'new girls' for 2014!! RIRs' are such a good breed to start out with I think. My flock is RIRs', Welsummers', Delawares & 1 Dominique. In the New Year I will be adding Barred rocks & Australorps'. Enjoy your girls, they are so entertaining! Sue

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Congratulations on your first eggs! X2 collect eggs when you can. Chickens do like to lay where other chickens have laid eggs, so if you don't have fake eggs / golf balls in the nests you might want to put some in.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new flock and the eggs. Understand that your hens may be 'put off' by the change in homes and stop laying for a while. Those first 2 eggs were already in the 'production line'.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Regarding eggs, I usually spell it "layed", maybe not correct but somehow "laid" just looks wrong.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by