collecting eggs for incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ebear82, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    So this spring I am donating some of my eggs to the kindergarten classes at the school where I teach so they can hatch them. My question is...if I collect the eggs, do I just keep them sitting out at room temp. until I take them to the school? Or what should I do with them until they get there? How long can they sit out of an incubator before being put into it? Thanks!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I put them in the coolest part of the house-its 55-60 in one room so that's where they go-I collect for no longer than 5 days-thats just me-especially with shipping them-but I will leave mine for up to 7 days in that room-that way you put them in all at once..works for me:)

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm doing the same for the school my son goes to now, and the school he went to for kindergarden...

room temp is fine, if you can put them in a carton, and turn them twice a day... say 7 am and 7 pm, it's better.. same concept as turning them in the bator...

i had eggs taht had been collected for 10 days, and most of them hatched.. wasn't my hatch, they got a road trip to yuma AZ.. lol...
    i think out of 24, only 6 didn't hatch?

good luck!! the kids have so much fun with it... but now i can't convince my 6 yr old that eggs CAN be eaten, they do NOT ALL have to go into the incubator.. lol...

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I was just wondering about this, I've been collecting my eggs since Boxing Day, and not sure if thats too long. Hmmm.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Not to be off-topic, but what exactly is Boxing Day? (Besides the day after Christmas?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by