Collecting eggs for incubating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jim N Phyl, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Jim N Phyl

Jim N Phyl New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    We are fairly new to incubating eggs. We just placed our rooster with three hens. The hens have been in with other roosters. Question??? How many days should we collect eggs before we start to collect for incubation?
    Also, how many days can we keep eggs at room temp safely before placing them in incubator?

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    If the Hens have been with roosters there is a good possibility the are fertile now, so you don't have to wait. The generally accepted rule for storing eggs for incubation is 10 days. The easiest way to store them Is in an egg carton, small end down. Lean the carton against something so that one end is elevated, about a 45 degree angle, & 3 or 4 times a day rotate the carton so the lower end becomes the upper end, essentially turning the eggs.

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I used to store my eggs for weeks and would get excellent hatch rates.

4. Jim N Phyl

Jim N Phyl New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi Bill 101, Thanks for the info. What is the reason for leaning eggs in a carton at a 45 degrees angle ? Thanks.

5. Jim N Phyl

Jim N Phyl New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for the info Tyler.

6. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    When you lean the cartons against the wall at a 45 degree angle & then switch ends touching the wall, it basically turns the eggs & it does the whole 12 at a time preventing you from having to turn each individually

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by