Collecting eggs for shipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluey, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I'm planning on sending some of my EE eggs to a friend to hatch. How should they be collected and kept until shipping?

How many days old can they be and are they kept at room temp?

Also, what shipment method works best?

Could someone please give me a simple breakdown?

Thanks!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I store my hatching eggs, at room temp, 70 to75* I store them in a paper egg tray little end down. Tilting the tray once a day. 10 to 14 days is the max to get the best hatch rate possible. Of course fresher the better. As far as packing, Im still trying to figure out the best way too.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Wow! [​IMG] They're good for 10-14 days at room temp?!

Good deal. Thanks for the info bsaffles!

You'd think that a shipment technique would be stickied somewhere on BYC...

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Can I write some shipping methods down and paste a post it note to your... [​IMG] ? [​IMG]

bluey called me "friend." [​IMG]

Yay.... for EASTER EGGS!!

and when they hatch... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

me,
    g

I spelled wrong.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Gretchen...you think you're the only one getting eggs? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hey, I wanna be your friend too! I love EE's. Oh wait, I don't have a bator, nevermind. [​IMG]

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If you're saving eggs to hatch at home, you can get away with 10-14 days. I wouldn't let them sit more than 3 or 4 days before shipping, though. The sooner the better, the hatch rate starts going down, the older the eggs are. Then they need to rest upright, undisturbed, for 24-48 hours before they go in the 'bator, after they get to the destination. Gives your friend time to get the 'bator temp stable, though. So if they sat 4 days before shipping, and took 3 days to get there, then sat 48 hours before being placed in the 'bator, they're already 9 days old by then. That could reduce the hatch rate. And, some breeds are harder to hatch than others.

I just got an order of Delaware eggs from Seriousbill. They were very well packed, each egg wrapped in bubble wrap, secured with a small piece of scotch tape, wadded up paper to fill the empty space. Oh yeah, a couple of sheets of bubble wrap under the eggs, and over the eggs. All 26 arrived unscathed, despite a hole poked all the way into the box in one spot.

That damage to the box made me think it would be best to put a layer of wadded paper, with a depression in the center like a nest. Then a couple of sheets of bubble wrap, then the nest of bubble wrapped eggs, then 2 more sheets of bubble wrap, then more wadded paper. That way none of the eggs are near the bottom, top, or sides of the box. They're safely nestled in the center of the box, so any blows to the box won't hurt them.

Bear in mind that they can still be shaken up enough to cause internal damage, and they can be left places where they could get too hot, or too cold. Like out on a runway in the sun, or in the cold, depending on season and location. But, if packed as well as mine were, they'd probably be ok anyway, it would have to be really hot, or really cold, for a long time, to get through that much insulation. For more protection from temperature extremes, you could put your bubble-wrap masterpiece inside a styrofoam box like they use to ship frozen food.

However you pack them, make sure there's no movement when you turn the box. You want those eggs to not rattle around inside the package at all.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    thanks dancingbear!!! That was very helpful!

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:Well, I guess I can't be sure....
    but you did just say "a" friend...as in singular.

So I was assuming....

Dancingbear....very helpful to bluey...get "my" eggs here in one peice.

10. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:Well, I guess I can't be sure....
    but you did just say "a" friend...as in singular.

So I was assuming....

Dancingbear....very helpful to bluey...get "my" eggs here in one peice.

Yes, I admit it. You're right. You are my very "special" friend...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll hand deliver your eggs in this vehicle! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by