Collecting eggs from one hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playingchicken, Jan 7, 2009.

1. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Right now I have two eggs from my single hamburg hen that may or may not be fertile. The roo was killed about a week ago.

How long should I keep collecting eggs until it is time to put them in the bator?

They are in the kitchen which is about 68 degrees F. The garage fluctuates between 40-60. Should they be in the garage or kitchen?

Here is a pic of her and the now dead cockerel.

[​IMG]

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I would collect them for 14 days. You can keep them in the refrigerator (that's what I do) or in your kitchen. I wouldn't chance them going below 40 degrees in your garage. Typical refrigerators are 42-45 degrees.

The other alternative is to collect them for a week, set those eggs in the incubator and continue to collect for another 1-2 weeks and then set those. It would be a staggered hatch, but you wouldn't risk a lower hatch rate by waiting 14 to set them all.

I've heard folks say that hens can stay fertile up to a month, so I would collect and set the eggs until they are coming up clear by day 7 of incubation. Good luck! Sorry about your little roo...what a nice looking boy!

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    It should be okay to leave them in the kitchen. She should be fertile for another 2 weeks or so. The are usually fertile for anout 3 weeks. Keep collecting. You may want to set what you have at the end of week two and then collect what she lays in week 3 for a staggered hatch.

Sorry you lost your roo. He sure was pretty.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks. I think I may collect for the next few weeks then.
    Here is a better pic of the roo. I wish I had a more recent one. He was practically flame colored with iridescent green/black tail feathers. I am not sure how close he was to the standard for Golden Penciled Hamburgs, LOL, but he was pretty and very friendly. For a Hamburg anyway. Not cuddly but ready for treats all the time.

[​IMG]

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    pretty [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Very cute !!! [​IMG]

I would keep the eggs around 50-60 (not in the fridge) I put mine in a draw in my bedroom (the bedroom stays cooler than the rest of the house)!!!

She could be fertile up to 2-3 weeks, since the roosters been gone for a week I would collect for a week or so !!!!

Store eggs big end up, some tilt the eggs daily so the yolk doesnt stick (I dont and have had great hatch rates)

Sorry about your rooster, and good luck hatching his babies [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by