COLLECTING EGGS How are your HENS REACTING?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MareeZoCool, Jul 13, 2011.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] If my hens see me collecting eggs from their nests, they give me the "stink eye" and then start hiding eggs in new nesting areas.
    [​IMG] Do you sneak your collection chores?[​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Nope mine don't care unless they are in the nest. Than they give me the stink eye. I am waiting for 1 of mine to go broody. Want one so bad I can taste it.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine don't care unless they are broody...then watch out! LOL

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It doesn't seem to bother my hens at all when I collect their eggs. They don't mind.

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    When mine have eggs underneath them and I stick my hand in the nesting box some hens either peck or raise their feathers in warnings. When they are off I still hide the eggs that I'm collecting. Hahha [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My younger hens still cluck and fuss a little at me when I collect their eggs. My (older) brahma girls? They'll stand up to make it easier for me to collect the eggs out from under them. [​IMG]

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Mine don't seem to mind. At least they haven't told me.[​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Mine are Red SLs, so they plop an egg without even so much as an egg song, shrug at the weird round thing, then wander away to go lay in their favorite dust hole, sun, or eat.

Bunch o couch potato chickens, but it makes collecting easier.[​IMG]

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple broody hens, but I don't let them sit on eggs. I collect the eggs every day and when I reach under them, they make all sorts of fuss. At first they would try to peck at me, but now they're used to me and all they do is squawk and fuss at me. Many times I'll reach under one of them and there's nothing there. Silly hens.

10. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    My hens could care less. The rooster on the other hand attacks if he catches me near the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by