1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Collecting eggs in winter...refrigerate or no?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DawnB, Mar 4, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

So, I had an odd thought today while collecting eggs. It's gotten cold here again (single digits). I make an egg run at least a few times a day or my eggs freeze.

Well, it just hit me...I know if you wash off eggs, you need to refrigerate them, but what if they get cold out in the coop before being collected? Should they, too, go right into the fridge (with or without being washed)? Is it bad for them to sit out unwashed and warm back up to room temp?

I'm not sure why I just thought of that...but I'm curious. What do you all do?

Thanks.
    Dawn

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I always collect once at night. set the eggs on the counter and eat dinner and afterwards I clean them, and refridgerate. in the summer i collect alot more than the winter. :)

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think it would depend on whether or not the eggs are sweating. If they are sweating or damp then I would wash and refrigerate because the bloom will be ruined -- I know that is why once you frig they need to stay in the frig. If they are staying dry, my guess is they are fine on the counter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi...thanks for the info. CRD, the eggs don't sweat, so I guess I'm good. [​IMG] I just wasn't sure about getting them cold then warming them up. My production's down since it's been cold, so I leave a bowl of the eggs on the counter till I get a carton-full to wash (usually a couple/three days).

Thanks again!
    Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by