collecting eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick'n'weave, Jan 28, 2013.

1. chick'n'weave

chick'n'weave Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    What if I am unable to collect eggs daily from my new flock? What problems occur ? Will the hens continue to fill up the nests with eggs / or go off somewhere else to lay them / or eat them??

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There are several things that can happen. The hens will probably just continue to fill up the nests, but:
    1. poopy eggs
    2. cracked or broken eggs because of hens moving in and out of the nest boxes
    3. egg eating, if eggs start getting broken a lot, it can lead to egg eating when the hens learn there's yummy stuff inside
    4. you won't know how old each egg is
    5. frozen eggs in the winter
    6. if you live in a place where it gets hot (over 98 degrees F) and you have fertile eggs, you can have embryonic development and you won't know which eggs are possibles (see number 4)

Other than those things (and there may be more I haven't thought of) eggs wont' go bad just sitting at room temperature for a day or two. Personally, #1 would be my biggest problem. Poopy eggs are gross.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    x2

4. nasus

nasus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    x3

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    x4

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    x5
    (I couldn't have said it better.)

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Great response. The only thing 'll add is that eggs can possibly attract egg eating animals. Any egg eating predator can come out during the day but they are usually most active at night.

It really won't hurt the eggs themselves to stay out a few days in normal temperatures. A hen will sometimes hide a nest and lay eggs for over two weeks before she starts incubation. Those eggs are still not rotten after five weeks, with three of those at incubation temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by