collecting rain water for animals?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nightshade, Feb 21, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay here is the thing. I have rain barrels that supply about 80% of my water for my gardens. I want to take this a step further and collect rain water to substise my water for my animals, and duck pond. Has anyone every tried this? I am sure the water for the aniamls to drink will need to be filtered as well as have a much larger storage tank then my little rain barrels. I know you can buy really $ cistern systems , but I am looking to build my own if possible. Any hints, tips, ideas?

2. TechEdFireman

TechEdFireman Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking of doing this too...I'm only going to have about 10-15 birds so I thought a 55 gallon drum under the down spout of the coop would be more than enough. I am going to try to figure a way to connect a container to the drum so the water is continuous but not over flowing. This way they have all they need during the day in the run.

3. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    I collect rainwater for gardens also. Rainwater is a good idea for watering your animals. I may try to get me another barrel. I would say it is safer than tap water that is full of chlorine.

4. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I am not sure I would want to collect it from the roof though. If you use tar shingles I am sure there are all kinds of chemicals getting into the water you wouldn't want in your chickens.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Backyard Poultry Magazine had a article in there prolly a couple issues ago. They were professional folks with a auto waterer, along with a filter system. Something about being better for the flock. I can try and find the issue for you, unless someone else is familiar with the article. The roof on the coop provided enough rain water runoff for the flock.

bigzio

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have a huge rain barrel that I love to water my gardenout of but in North Carolina we have so much yellow pollen several times a year that it does colelct in my rain barrel and I would be afraid to water my animals with that. Of course I have the screen and the rocks on the top so it's not a filtration problem, it's just dang pollen and it gets everywhere, including my rain barrel. If you dont have any pollen then it should be a good idea and I would do it too if it weren't for that because there would be no chlorine in the water as there is my city water. [​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just gave my rain barrel to the neighbor because the water seems to go stagnant (sp) and it smells rotten.
    Maybe i just did not use it fast enough....but i would have never given it to my chickens.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    You have to have either a tile roof, a stainless steel roof, or a ceramic coated metal roof to collect rainwater and not collect toxins with the water. If you store it for very long, even with a filter on the inlet, you will still need to treat the water to stop it from growing bacteria, etc. For poultry or veggies it may be fine without treating, but I would advise you to be careful. The longer you store it the more likely it is growing something that could be harmful.

Another option is to build rain collecting ponds. But those are open to the air and would have similar concerns.

It may be worthwhile to look into sand filtration for removing toxins and microorganisms from collected water.

I think you will find that in this day and age we know too much for our own good. [​IMG]

The easiest water conserving method I use is to re-use my duck's water for watering plants. That way all water gets used twice. We also conserve water inside the house (even in the winter, which is rainy here) to make up for our outdoor use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by