collecting roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken on ice, Dec 20, 2010.

1. chicken on ice

chicken on ice Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    rockville
    I am very new to the AI breeding of chickens. We have show buff braham chickens top quality. We do not want to put the roosters in with the hens due to roosters pulling the feathers out. I have been trying to collect these roosters. They will just not cooperate with me. Any good ideas out there. I am trying to get some of the top quality birds into the incubator.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Personally, I'd say just have a separate area for the boys and girls, then introduce your pick male and female(s) when you plan to breed them, and only for that time of breeding. (I usually pair them up once a week) Trust me, if you breed for less dominant/aggressive type males, you will not have ruined feathers on the females at all. [​IMG] The tearing of the feathers is often because the female is not ready, not laying, or the rooster is too rough.

Otherwise, for AI - I'd say the ticket is to just know how to stroke them. I don't have successful experience, but I'd imagine it takes practice.

3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    That's good advice. You could also even try collecting them at night while they're "sleeping" and place them in a separate area away from the rest. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by