1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

collective defense

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pkeeler, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Was sitting out on the deck reading BYC with the chickens in the yard (they free range) when a hawk swooped through. Chickens went nuts and ran for their bushes. Hawk alighted on one of the pine trees. The rooster started his alarm call/get out of there call, "ba ba ba bwack". This seemed to get the chickadees and nuthatches to come over and start chirping too. Then the blue jays came in and started swooping on the hawk. I've seen songbirds do that before, but didn't know the chickens were now plugged into the neighborhood network.

Meanwhile, one of my chickens was separated from the others and made a break for the flock. The hawk saw it but didn't look that interested in chasing. I think it was a red tailed hawk, maybe a cooper's hawk. It just kept preening itself. After watching all this, I decided I should step into the yard to let the hawk know people are in this yard (supposedly they are shy of hunting in near humans). When it saw me it moved off another 50 yards followed by the songbirds.

Chickens are still in the big bush (mountain laurel), but they were due for a nap anyway. Very cool.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Nature has it's ways of protecting it's own. In my opinion, these are built-in defense mechanisms. Neat that you were able to watch it first hand.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thats a neat story!!..now you have me thinking...last night around dusk..i actually went outside because the birds and squirrels were making such a ruckus in the trees around my yard...the squirrels were running from tree to tree...making that chittering noise they do..the birds were also real noisy..flying from tree to tree...when i looked though i didnt see anything...but i was thinking that "something" was around...i was looking for a fisher though, that has been in the trees before..who knows what it was..creeped me out though..i put my ducks in thier pen just to be safe.....so yeah.....nature has a way of giving us a warning sometimes!..[​IMG]..Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by