College degree...and no jobs!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FLchook, Jul 7, 2008.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Im just so frustrated...I work hard to get my teaching degree, finally graduate and there are no jobs. Teachers are being laid off all over, first years teachers dont have a chance. Even the media and news papers are admitting it. =/

Ive now been out of school a year, and working at my dad and brothers shop. I dont mind working there one bit, but if we want to ever build the new house, I need to make more money. Not to mention with inflation out of control my husbands salary no longer goes as far is it used too.

Any ideas what a person with a teaching degree can do? There has to be other career options out there.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    wow no teaching jobs. Bizarre.

Here in NC you can get just about get a teaching job as long as you're not a felon. Ok not quite that easy but still surprising to me. They are desperate.

Anyway you should be able to get just about any typical office type job. I don't know if you'd want to do it but receptionist work, customer service, collections that type of stuff. I've done it before and it will get you by.

Most people I know don't have a degree that has anything to do with their jobs. The woman in the cubicle next to me is a programmer with me but her degree is in Woman's Studies.

Tom

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Any ideas what a person with a teaching degree can do? There has to be other career options out there.

1-Move. Most states are desperate. If you lived in New England you would have had
    a job before you graduated.
    2-Get your Masters
    3-Substitute teach - Get to know people & build references​

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Learn to coach. I'm a 52 year old woman with a master's degree, working on my teaching certificate as a "more than highly qualified" science teacher - and at least 50% of the job openings in science are for COACHES THAT CAN ALSO TEACH SCIENCE!!! And we wonder why this country is falling behind. Sports come first, and if you might be able to teach science, well OK! [​IMG]

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:funny...almost all my science teachers since 6th grade have been coaches. Yep, I'm pretty sure if you learn to coach you can find a job in some small school.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where do you live?

I don't think you'd have a problem in AZ even though our schools are getting smaller because more Mexicans are headed back south where the economy is better... Hey, you could teach English in Mexico....

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yeah, we're in the middle of nowhere and just got a new teacher at the school - he's around 23 or something, when I met him I just about asked him what grade he was in [​IMG]

8. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Moving really isnt an option. The family is settled, my husband has a great job as a programmer and they are grooming him quickly to move up into manament. They just promoted him too! Besides we have this property we live on, which I love. 5 acres just outside of everything. It seems were in the middle of no where, but 3 miles down the road is everything we need. We also have another property that we rent...we wouldnt mind selling it becuase were tired of renters, but things just arent selling.

Im on certified to teach elementary, Im good in math, so I could probably pass the test for math cert. But even in the middle and high school lvls there arent many jobs.

A friend that works in the workmans comp field said she could get me a job. If I worked hard I could get my licence and move up rather quickly.

Its just making me think..why did I spend so much energy time and money to get a degree if Im going to work in a job that I could have gone stright from high school into. Thats 5 years of a real salary I could have earned, without taking out a school loan.

<sigh> Guess im just more irritated then anything.

Thanks for your suggestions though....

9. 1dude

1dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    Try looking at Federal jobs, http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/
    Make
    a account and post your info and or look for openings to apply for.

Our area is cutting teaching jobs like crazy. The counties are running out of money. Our country is a mess!

10. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Think of alternative places to work. What about one of those Sylvan learning center type of places, or offer tutoring ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by