College question: What do they mean when they say per credit hour?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greeneggsnham, Jul 18, 2010.

1. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    I am trying to estimate the money I will need for college and keep reading $xx per credit hour and then the total is something way up there. What does a credit hour entail? I am trying to figure out what my classes will cost for a semester. I'm sorry I am probably asking a stupid question but I really need to know.

2. Eliza

Eliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    Lisbon, CT
    each course is either 1, 2, or 3 credits. This means that the price per course is then multiplyed by the credits per course. Credit hours are necessary for accrediation, that's all. Apply for a Pell grant on line. And get your text books from Amazon marketplace or Cheaptext.com good luck!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Most classes at a freshman level have 3 hours of credit. So, English 101 would be 3 hours. Some classes , especially ones like Bio 101 that have a lab, are 4.0 hours. To be a full time student, at most colleges here, you would have to take 12 plus hours per semester. Also, once you reach a certain amount of hours, the price with some colleges goes down per hour.

I hope that helps.

4. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    Thanks guys that really helps! [​IMG] Now maybe I can figure out how far I'm gonna be in debt. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Generally the number of credit hours is a the number of hours in class per week. A 3 hour class is typically held for 1 hour every MWF or 1.5 hrs every TTh. But sometimes they play with that and you might have a class that meets once a week for 3 hrs (usually some sort of field work or flex schedule) Or it might be held MWTh or MTW or MW or ...

Many science classes are 4 hours, but sometimesthe schedule is a 3 hr lecture and mandatory concurrent enrollment in a 1 hr lab. Different schools do the details differently. Also, some schools have quarters rather than semesters, and they count their credits a bit differently.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don;t forget to figure in fees. Class fees are pretty easy--usually listed in the catalogue with the class description. However there are also various activity fees of one sort and another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by