College question???

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by polish101, Oct 23, 2009.

1. polish101

polish101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    North central
    hi,
    I was just wonder since most people here are college grads if you could help. I was wondering which college was the best for animal science majors. I want to become an animal nutritionist and open my own feed store making my pwn feed

Jeremy

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What state do you live in?

3. polk county

polk county Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    I don’t think it matters. None of the interviewers I interviewed with were interested in my college or my GPA. They were more interested in how I meshed with the company climate. It’s all about how you present yourself at the interview. As far as one college being better, again it doesn’t really matter. Colleges advertise their individual programs as being "the best". If you are really interested in the subject you will teach yourself for the rest of your life. College is just to get you started. For instance, if you major in poultry science you still don’t know squat about poultry. It’s only when you start working in real world poultry science that you begin to understand. You really don’t understand something until you have years of dynamic, interactive real world experience. College is just there to get you started. Go with the one you like!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. polish101

polish101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    North central
    Hi,
    thanks. they all seem good in there own ways. I was just wondering if one was better at animal nutrition.

Jeremy

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Many state universities have fantastic Ag programs. Check your state university's programs out. It will be more enomic for you because you can get in state tuition.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    The only good one I know of is one in my state because...well...I don't know much about out-of-state colleges [​IMG]

North Carolina State University has a lot of good ag programs and stuff. I participate in the poultry judging competition every year, which is held up there. They have a huge campus with a lot of animals/animal related things. Like the chickens, for example.
    I'm going there to be a veterinarian. They're one of the top 5 veterinary schools in the country.

Oh I also forgot, my Ag. teacher went there [​IMG] He does the FFA and all the agriculture/animal science classes at my school.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I never thought it would come to this... I AM a DIE HARD Hawkeye fan... But....

Iowa State has some GREAT animal science programs... Here's a link...

http://www.iastate.edu/depts/

*Go Hawkeyes!*

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

NC State has an awesome program. It's where my vet went to school

Clemson also has an awesome program. It's where my vet has sent his sons to school, lol.

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, there is UC Davis in California. It's VERY well known here in these parts for agriculture and vet science and many other things in those areas.

http://www.ucdavis.edu/index.html

10. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oklahoma State University has a great ag/livestock program.
    It is a large campus, but you don't feel like a number.
    They have a great football team too. GO POKES!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by