Collie dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daffy428, Feb 3, 2014.

1. daffy428

daffy428 New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Does anyone out there have a regular collie( like Lassie) not a border collie that is good with their chickens? I know that dogs can be one of the chickens' worst predators, but I was wondering about training dogs to be protectors and friends of chickens, and specifically collies...

1 person likes this.
  2. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Sorry we have a lab/shepherd chicken protector, he is 7. Good luck on your search for collie owners.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Forgive me for pipping in as I have a Shetland Sheepdog rather than a true Collie (however he has quite a bit of Collie blood in him as the breeder was looking to refine her bloodlines features)....however, he is generally afraid of the chickens...seriously...he ran from them for the longest time as I had 2 rather bossy RIR's that hated him on sight.

However, with some work, he has warmed up and has, on occasion, begun to help me in herding....sometimes. I need to work with him more to help him understand his role.

All to say, it is more the handling than the breed. A well bred Collie should work fine as it is a herding dog. We had several Collies in our Guide Dog club and they were environmentally sensitive but not instinctively goofy predatory chasers. You'll need to handle it to acclimate it to the chickens and teach it that the chickens are to be cared for not played with.

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto...depends on the individual dog and, much more importantly, the human training that dog.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Have to agree that it depends on the training and individual dog. We have a herding dog (cattle dog) and she nips and herds everything!

We keep our chickens and dogs isolated from each other but they live close together. Coyotes pretty much stay clear of our property since we have 7 dogs and will not risk a confrontation. Having a well behaved guard dog can be very nice for a fenced property.

[​IMG]

6. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have an Australian Shepherd, a collie-type dog, that gets along fine with the chickens. I also have a chihuahua that would not be expected to do well around chickens. I figure that between our management and the example set by the Aussie, the chihuahua leaves the chickens alone. Of course, the chickens are much larger than the chihuahua. That may make some difference.

Chris

7. BrinaChick

BrinaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Ozarks
    Yes I DO breed Collies! The old fashioned type of working dog, They are classified as 'Scotch Collies' Please check out my website, I have 2 upcoming litters this 2017 May.
    onegoodfarmdog.wordpress.com My dogs work with all of our livestock-chickens, ducks, cows, sheep, pigs, rabbits, and our cats!
    These dogs aren't hyper, and they do NOT kill or harm our animals, however they DO kill all the vermin critters, like opossum, raccoon, rats, squirrels, fox, etc. and have chased off 3 black bears, a mountain lion and plenty of coyotes. I love the way my dogs, think, act, and work! You can read about my previous puppies and how they are growing up on their new homes.

Please contact me if you would like one of these Fantastic farm dogs!
    Here are my breeding Collies-
    [​IMG]

8. BrinaChick

BrinaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Ozarks
    We are expecting 2 litters from these incredible farm collies in the first week of May 2017. Let me know if anyone is interested. The 2 sable dogs are my females, and the tricolor is my stud dog. They are great with all farm animal, super intelligent, and loyal to their master.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by