colloidal silver-last resort?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onlyonealice, Aug 18, 2011.

1. onlyonealice

onlyonealice Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Westminster
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:The metacam should help; my chicken vet also prefers it over prednisone. dhunicorn is VERY, VERY knowledgeable about avian health. Diana has huge compilations of journal-published health and research articles, and often contributes to this forum. You can try emailing her if you want her opinion.

Follow the crookneck advice, substituting the metacam for the prednisone. Use an adult dose of vitamin B complex. If you can get the vitamin E with the selenium already added in, that is better as it is quite easy to OD on the selenium, but it is needed for the body to process the vitamin E.

I would also keep her on the Baytril rather than the Septra. You say you've seen improvement, so it does appear to be working. The vitamins and metacam treat the symptoms, which can come from multiple causes. There are a lot of forms of encephalitis that birds can get; head trauma is a possibility, food or other poisonings are also possible causes of the symptoms. The baytril will address bacterial causes, the others simply take time.

3. onlyonealice

Aug 14, 2011
    Westminster
    Thank you for the info, I will look Diana up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. onlyonealice

Aug 14, 2011
    Westminster
    I cannot find dhunicorn [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:It's dlhunicorn, b ut I checked and it looks like she is no longer a member. Since you found her conforums website (http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi), you should be able to access her email there; however, I did pm you her yahoo email address.

6. onlyonealice

Aug 14, 2011
    Westminster
    Thank you Sonoran Silkies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by