Colombian Rock Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rjaym73, May 2, 2010.

1. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    I understand way too little about genetics, so I have wondered with colombian rocks, being as colombian is a dominant gene, could I breed a white rock hen to my colombian rock roo and get at least some colombian chicks? I believe that colombian is supposed to be over a silver instead if white gene, would I need the white rock to carry a silver gene? Often white covers many other color genes would these effect the cross?

I have been wondering as I would like to improve my flock and have no source for more colombian rocks, and my flock throws a heavy percentage (around 80%) of roos

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    will the only queston i have is... is your colombian rock an actual colombian rock. from what i have hered is that there are no pure col. rocks in the US.
    i have a pair and an extra rooster growing out right now for 4-H i will be trading the other roo for a hen. if you want i can post pics. the col. is coming in relley nice they are 1 month and 2ish weeks old they were hatched on march 13.

3. karabbitry

karabbitry Chirping

Nov 4, 2009
    What do you consider to be a pure columbian rock? What are you criteria? I know of I couple of lines that crossed columbian and white and got show marked columbian bantams. They did produce some other almost bichen colored ones as well.

4. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:so are you taking about bantams or large fowl.
    http://www.circlepondfarm.com/sign pics 038.jpg - i would consder that a pure columbian rock. with very little black on any place on the bird. also white birds can have many genes hiding under the white.

5. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    That is very close to my birds, except my birds have brighter yellow shanks. They are as close to pure as I have ever seen. I will try to find a pic. Either way, it is the only stock I can get, it is where I will start from.

Oh and to answer the earlier question, they are large fowl

6. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:ok that helps , my birds are from pure lines , as far as i know they have not been crosed. I wish you luck , we here in canada have some good CR's still

7. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    Yes as far as I have seen there are very few colombian rocks in the US. I don't know of any others, but as far as I can tell these are the real thing. Either way they are a good starting point, but I only have my original 2 roos and 2 hens, and quite a few cockerels. I hatch alot of eggs, but seem to keep getting roos. If god forbid something happened to my hens I would be out of luck unless I could breed back to a white. I would also like to add some different blood into the line, and with only 2 related pair, there isn't much diversity. I figure since they are all plymouth rocks, the main difference is color. There has to be a way! I don't have a source for real Colombian rocks without going to canada, and for me at the moment that isn't an option

I found some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rjaym73

Rjaym73 In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: