Colombian Rock info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by craychickladay, Jul 25, 2013.

1. craychickladay

craychickladay In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    A little less than two months ago I purchased six chicks- 1 Leghorn, 2 Plymouth Rocks, 2 Black Sex-Links, and 1 Colombian Rock. They are all short of two months old, and the Plymouth's and BSL's seem to be the same size, and developing the same. I obviously can't compare the Leghorn, because they're much different than those breeds, physically. But my Colombian is much larger than the Plyms, it has a much larger & more red comb. The legs are much thicker and taller. I am pretty sure this one is a rooster, which I do not care about at all. Ours just died anyway, so we need a new one. Anyway, I am wondering what the temperament of Colombian Rock roosters generally see to be? We've had a White Rock roo, a Buff Orpington roo, and a Rhode Island Red roo, and they were all very friendly and kind. I've raised this one from about 4 days old. So he (if it is a he) is used to me, and will come to me when I enter the chicks pen for food. However he will not let me pick him up. But has showed zero aggression towards me, as of yet. I just do not want a mean rooster because we don't kill our birds, and I don't want to be tip-toeing around him. The white rock roo once attacked my feet, and I kicked him off of me, he was fine but never came after me again. Sorry for the long post,

TL;DR - I wanna know the temperament of Colombian Rock Roosters.

2. Rocks are fairly docile as a breed. While a cockerel would stand out as thicker and taller while in a flock of pullets, would you be confident in his being a Columbia Rock?

A photo would be good. Sometimes people mistakenly get a Cornish/Rock cross broiler by mistake and wonder why that one chick is so incredibly HUGE compared to the others. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. craychickladay

craychickladay In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    He is for sure a Colombian Rock. We purchased him, as well as the others from reputable people. The others are clearly pure and this one as well.

4. Good for you,

The fact remains that while most Rocks are docile, not all birds can be said to have the same temperament. Just keep an eye on him. Stay dominant to him and time will tell the tale. No one can predict with absolute certainty about any given bird's future. Here's to wishing you the very best.

5. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    My columbian rock cross are so friendly they are the first to run up to me, my barred rocks hate me and won't even come close to me unless I have a cup of scratch, wish I would have got all columbians.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: